Getting Used To Navigation

Is it just me or did it take you a really long time to get used to the navigation on the es330? I have no problem on the rx's but this ES; ughhhh.... My wife has no problem, my 14 year old daughther loves it!! I feel so dumb!! Why is it that the younger generations "get" things as we so called "older" people don't LOL And i'm only in my early 40's ;)

Is it just me or did it take you a really long time to get used to the navigation on the es330? I have no problem on the rx's but this ES; ughhhh.... My wife has no problem, my 14 year old daughther loves it!! I feel so dumb!! Why is it that the younger generations "get" things as we so called "older" people don't LOL  And i'm only in my early 40's  ;)

You are 100% correct!

It was excruciating learning how to use this NAV system. It is so UNLIKE windows which is one of its major problems. A second problem is both an advantage and a disadvantage: it is built-in which is much better for convenience sake [you don't have to remove it to prevent theft], but it is a lot harder to get any practice on it because you have to do that in the car with the engine switched off.

Then, it has its eccentricities and bugs. Some cities [or communities] are not in the database and you have to go to the map mode to locate them to set a route.

I have been trying to reconcile the way all routing and navigation systems operate and I suppose it is the amount of memory or disk space that would be required for a system to simply be able to zoom in and out optically. Anyway, it is hard with the space allotted to see what we can see with a printed map because it continues to simplify the display.

Enough! I wish they were better. But one thing that did confound me over and over again was the fact that it does not retain more than five destinations for a route. This is not stated ANYWHERE in the instructions. I like to take blue highways across country and I had to go back to my old system of memorizing turns.

Thank god it's not just me  B)       Why would they make a new navi for 05 when the old navigation worked excellent.....ummm

I'm very surprised that the newer NAV system can only memorize 5 previous destinations?? The NAV system on my '03ES can memorize 100 previous destinations!

By any chance did you get the CDrom disc from a Lexus dealer that explains your NAV's operation? Using this disc makes learning the NAV system simpler than reading the handbook. All you do is put it into your computers CDrom drive and up comes pictures and explanations.

Thank god it's not just me  B)       Why would they make a new navi for 05 when the old navigation worked excellent.....ummm

I'm very surprised that the newer NAV system can only memorize 5 previous destinations?? The NAV system on my '03ES can memorize 100 previous destinations!

By any chance did you get the CDrom disc from a Lexus dealer that explains your NAV's operation? Using this disc makes learning the NAV system simpler than reading the handbook. All you do is put it into your computers CDrom drive and up comes pictures and explanations.

Yeah i used these CD's but they only helped a little bit; all i wanted was to plug in 3 places, and for it to give me a map LOL. I have this whole week off (THANK GOD I NEED A VACATION) so i'll look at is some more....I'll have Ali (my daughter) teach me LOL She knows everything about technology ;)

Alan- He means it can only have 5 active destinations at one time.

Lex- They switched manufacturers because the new nav is cheaper and the unit is much smaller and no longer has to be put in the trunk (your DVD is behind the screen, mine is in a huge drive in the trunk).

Our Prius has the new system and I hate it...and I'm of the "computer" generation. My fiance is fine with it, but she wasn't used to the old one. I think I would have serious problems learning to use the new one because I'm so used to the old one.

The only two complaints I have about mine are the destinations can't be set when moving (at least deactivate this when the passenger seat is occupied) and the keyboard isnt a QWERTY keyboard making finding letters difficult. Other than that the Nav has never let me down.

The only two complaints I have about mine are the destinations can't be set when moving (at least deactivate this when the passenger seat is occupied) and the keyboard isnt a QWERTY keyboard making finding letters difficult. Other than that the Nav has never let me down.

I saw a thread in the electronics section of this forum that had a way to disable the screen deactivation when the car is moving. It didn't say how to make it only work if there is a passenger on board, but it will be active the whole time, whether or not you are moving.

BTW: I haven't tried this method but there are a few people in these forums that have. Mine is only 4 months old and I don't want to mess with anything that might 'disable' my warranty. :(

Are the touch screen navi's better or worse in your opinion? Can you clean them when you get fingerprints LOL

It definately makes typing simpler. Buttons are big and easy to press on screen. My friend has a Dodge Durango and to type information in requires moving a joystick to the letter.

Fingerprints come off by using wipes made for LCD screens, available at any computer store.

Are the touch screen navi's better or worse in your opinion? Can you clean them when you get fingerprints LOL

It definately makes typing simpler. Buttons are big and easy to press on screen. My friend has a Dodge Durango and to type information in requires moving a joystick to the letter.

Fingerprints come off by using wipes made for LCD screens, available at any computer store.

I like using the touch screen ones better too :)

I definately prefer the touch screen. I had a colleague in my car today and we used the nav, he has an 05 GX470, and he commented on how much easier my nav is to use.

It's funny how Lexus can't just stick with the one that works the best.....

In all fairness the new system does have more functionality, it computes faster, has more POIs and it can search using telephone numbers, shows building footprints etc, the interface just isnt as user friendly.

In all fairness the new system does have more functionality, it computes faster, has more POIs and it can search using telephone numbers, shows building footprints etc, the interface just isnt as user friendly.

I disagree about the POI's, since that's determined by the DVDrom and not the computer.

But the new DVDs for the new system have more POIs than the DVDs for our system. The updates are seperate and aren't cross compatible.

That's very strange. When I upgraded my DVD disc in 2004, they claimed that the new disc had over 5 million POI's compared to 2 million on the older disc.

Here's a quote from Lexus on the '04 ES330, "The DVD map database now contains more than five million points of interest (POI), compared to two million before."

Seems to me it's the same amount on my upgraded disc. ;)

But the new DVDs for the new system have more POIs than the DVDs for our system. The updates are seperate and aren't cross compatible.

That's very strange. When I upgraded my DVD disc in 2004, they claimed that the new disc had over 5 million POI's compared to 2 million on the older disc.

Here's a quote from Lexus on the '04 ES330, "The DVD map database now contains more than five million points of interest (POI), compared to two million before."

Who's gonna need that many anyway ?!?! LOL

Who's gonna need that many anyway ?!?! LOL

I paid for 5 million POI's, and I want them. heehee :D

Is it just me or did it take you a really long time to get used to the navigation on the es330? I have no problem on the rx's but this ES; ughhhh.... My wife has no problem, my 14 year old daughther loves it!! I feel so dumb!! Why is it that the younger generations "get" things as we so called "older" people don't LOL  And i'm only in my early 40's  ;)

If the nav unit you have is anything like the GX470 unit, your right, its not user friendly.

I consider my a quick learner concerning computer & electronics, and seldom have to open the book on operating a unit. I found that reading the book on the GX470 NAV (and all the car tibits for that matter) is a must, and once you do, while practicing with the unit everytime you drive, itll become easy and enjoyable. It is an impressive unit with lots of capabilities Ive found.