Keyless Stopped Working Yesterday - Any Thoughts?

branshew

My keyless entry stopped working yesterday on my '93. I have checked to make sure the switch is in the "ON" position. I replaced the battery in the key (yes, I put the new battery in the right way), and I repalced the fuse in the engine compartment (the original didn't look blown, but I replaced anyway just to eliminate that as a possibility). And the keyless is still not working.

Any thoughts? Is there a way that I can tell if it is the key or if it is the control module? Where is the control module located?

In the 90 LS I had, the control unit was on the left side of the trunk behind the trim which is easily removed. My keyless remote worked erratically for at least 10 years and then stopped working except in the winter. The new owner told me that he found that the ROM module was not firmly seated in the control unit. Once he snapped it firmly into place, the keyless entry worked just fine.

I believe the control module is under the back seat.  Do you have another master key to try??

Unfortunately I only have one master and one Valet. I think I remember something on the ES forum indicating that the Key transmitted on 94.9 FM, but I wasn't sure if I could tune to that channel and press the button to get any indication if the key is working.

For my 90 LS, there was a trouble-shooting procedure for the keyless entry in the 2-volume set of repair manuals. I passed these manuals on to the new owner in 2003 so I can't help you there.