Speedometer And Rpm Meter Problem

e2vincent

Hi Proud Lexus Owner:

I own a '93 Lexus LS400 and I love my car. I've been noticing this problem on the instrumental panel for 2 years now, and I wonder if anyone has the same experience:

Speedometer and RPM meter problem:

i. works OK during Winter months, but not Summer. Lived in Central Texas

ii. when weather gets warmer, both meters will not move while driving in the morning.

iii. Sometimes the RPM meter will 'jump' up and back to normal after 10 mins of driving.

iv. Sometimes both meters will work magically when driving home in the evening.

v. If I get inpatient, I hit the dash board real hard and RPM meter respond first, and Speedometer will respond second, after I hit harder.

vi. BTW, my gas gauge is working fine, and the backlight (on the needles) is working also.

Anyone encounter the same problem as mine and how do you go about solving it ? Please share your experience....

BR,

V.

I also have a 93 and you are describing exactly the same problem that I had with my instrument cluster. I tried a number of repairs to the instrument cluster and the problem always seemed to return. Eventually, I bought a replacement instrument cluster from TAP, a Toyota Auto Parts place in Calif. and I took both the tach and speedometer gages from the used cluster and installed them in my original cluster. That was 6 months ago and both gauges have worked flawlessly ever since. If they both behave through the summer I will consider the problem fixed. Good luck, this is a frustrating problem indeed, I feel your pain.

The speedometer and tachometer needles on my 93 LS do the same thing.

It's very interesting that the dash display's refusal to light up happens in cold weather while the dead needles happens during hot weather.

Needless to say, I rap on the top of my dash quite a bit.

I corresponded with our resident dash cluster guru, Jim Walker, about this problem. He is aware of it and said that he has been trying to find a fix for it. Apparently, he has not been able to find a solution yet.

Hi Obergc:

How much did you spent on these 2 meters ? I heard from someone it cost about $500 a piece... Yikes!

Lexus Tech claimed that they have a fix, but has anyone use them before ?

http://www.lexustech.com/problems.htm

BR,

V.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have a 93 and you are describing exactly the same problem that I had with my instrument cluster.  I tried a number of repairs to the instrument cluster and the problem always seemed to return.  Eventually, I bought a replacement instrument cluster from TAP, a Toyota Auto Parts place in Calif. and I took both the tach and speedometer gages from the used cluster and installed them in my original cluster.  That was 6 months ago and both gauges have worked flawlessly ever since.  If they both behave through the summer I will consider the problem fixed.  Good luck, this is a frustrating problem indeed, I feel your pain.

Cost for the entire instrument cluster delivered to my house was $395. TAP offers some type of warranty for the used parts but I don't recall what the terms are. You are taking a chance that the used cluster might have the same problem but considering the problems that this gen Lexus has with the cluster, I wanted a spare cluster around for parts.

Hi Obergc:

How much did you spent on these 2 meters ? I heard from someone it cost about $500 a piece... Yikes!

Lexus Tech claimed that they have a fix, but has anyone use them before ?

http://www.lexustech.com/problems.htm

BR,

V.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have a 93 and you are describing exactly the same problem that I had with my instrument cluster.  I tried a number of repairs to the instrument cluster and the problem always seemed to return.  Eventually, I bought a replacement instrument cluster from TAP, a Toyota Auto Parts place in Calif. and I took both the tach and speedometer gages from the used cluster and installed them in my original cluster.  That was 6 months ago and both gauges have worked flawlessly ever since.  If they both behave through the summer I will consider the problem fixed.  Good luck, this is a frustrating problem indeed, I feel your pain.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Remove instrument pannel from dash change all small silver caps on both CKT.boards resolder as many of the solder eyes as you can around tach. that should solve your problem.

Can you give some more details on doing this. Where do you get the "silver cap" ect. What type of solder/flux. Heat source. Any info greatly appreceated. Walt