Factory Vs. Non-factory Chrome

agc

I have been looking at wheels for my LS and have a question. What is the difference between factory chrome and non-factory chrome. Is there a difference in quality, appearance or reliability. I have looked at several ads and notice that sellers definitely emphasizes factory chrome over non-factory. I was just wondering why. Lastly how can you tell something is factory chrome plated or not.

Thanks

AGC

I'm not sure that you can always tell by the Lexus logo since some chrome wheels you see are non-chrome OEM wheels that have been sent out to be chromed by dealers or owners.

I not sure but the OEM chrome wheels appear to have a "clear coat" on them which probably leads to the chrome lasting longer. My 00 LS came from the dealer with chrome wheels but they were OEM wheels that were chromed by an aftermarket supplier. My chrome wheels were deeply pitted after only three years and were replaced under warranty.

A coworker's 99 LS has OEM chrome wheels and his wheels are still in decent (a little pitting) shape after almost 6 1/2 years. The wheels on my 00 LS seem to have a much more brilliant shine that his OEM chrome wheels.

Maybe the clear coat is the key to telling whether or not the wheels are OEM chrome.

Regardless, there are plenty of companies that rechrome wheels. My next door neighbor sent his LS wheels out to be rechromed and they came back looking like new.

Keep in mind that factory chrome wheels are manufactured chrome plated to Lexus specifications & are known to last longer. However because they are chrome plated they will require more maintenance. Just washing the wheels are not enough. You need to periodically apply chrome polish to prevent pitting & protect the chrome. The durability of the plating depends on who's doing the work & what their process is. Any good chromer will apply a coat of nickel before applying the chrome. You can tell if it's a good chrome job or not, if the chrome starts tarnishing or turns yellow then they probably didn't apply a nickel coat. I have aftermarket chromes on my RX & still look new after a year with regular applications of chrome polish.