Help: Interpreting Carfax Report

apezam

Can anyone help to figure out what was happening with the vehicle from 2001 to 2004 according to the carfax report (see below)

Many thanks,

R.

Kalamazoo, MI

LEXUS LS 400 (JT8UF22E7S0014175).

Date: Mileage Reading: Source: General Comments:

02/24/1995 NICB Vehicle manufactured and

shipped to original

dealer

02/28/1995 17 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Stuart, FL

Odometer reading reported for

title

or registration

03/15/1995 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Boca Raton, FL

Registered as

personal vehicle

03/21/1995 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Boca Raton, FL

Title #68659803

Title issued or updated

First owner reported

01/23/1996 6,000 Florida

Inspection Station

West Palm Beach, FL

Passed emissions inspection

02/25/1997 15,000 Florida

Inspection Station

Vehicle was registered by the owner for private or personal use.

West Palm Beach, FL

02/18/1998 23,000 Florida

Inspection Station

West Palm Beach, FL

03/01/2001 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Stuart, FL

Title #0068659803

Title issued or updated

02/07/2003 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Stuart, FL

Title #0068659803

Registration issued or renewed

Registered as

personal vehicle

Vehicle color noted as Beige

03/17/2004 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Title #0068659803

Registration issued or renewed

Registered as

personal vehicle

Vehicle color noted as Beige

04/14/2004 69,900 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Stuart, FL

Odometer reading reported for

title

or registration

04/21/2004 Dealer Inventory

West Palm Beach, FL

Vehicle offered for sale

04/26/2004 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Stuart, FL

Title #0068659803

Title issued or updated

Duplicate title issued

06/10/2004 Florida

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Stuart, FL

Title #0068659803

Title issued or updated

Correction to record

New owner reported

06/17/2004 Michigan

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Kalamazoo, MI

Title #202R1690144

Title or registration issued

Nothing unusual, it looks like. Perhaps they let the registration lapse. It looks like maybe they sold the car to someone who didn't drive it?

Frankly, CarFax reports are kind of hampered in their usefulness because of these types of problems. Was it in an accident and wrecked, hence the reason for the long period between registration notes? Or was it just a normal lapse? Most likely it was nothing, just a normal lapse.

Frankly, CarFax reports are kind of hampered in their usefulness because of these types of problems. Was it in an accident and wrecked, hence the reason for the long period between registration notes?  Or was it just a normal lapse?  Most likely it was nothing, just a normal lapse.

Yeah, there won't be accident reported on CarFax unless the accident is major. I have seen history of wrecked cars and no sign of wreck on CarFax which make me wonder...

Since it was a Florida car, it could have been a retired person's winter vacation car. That person might have been in a nursing home or somehting for a few years, never got down to their florida home, and never kept up with the registration. Person could have passed away and the car was sold as a part of their estate. Judging by the milage reported v. age of car, it seems to be that type of car.

just my 2 cents worth.

Frankly, CarFax reports are kind of hampered in their usefulness because of these types of problems. Was it in an accident and wrecked, hence the reason for the long period between registration notes?  Or was it just a normal lapse?  Most likely it was nothing, just a normal lapse.

Yeah, there won't be accident reported on CarFax unless the accident is major. I have seen history of wrecked cars and no sign of wreck on CarFax which make me wonder...

I use the carfax report on my family vehicles and did not get any accident reports even though I know that they have been in minor collisions. Next I will test my 1995 Ford Probe that I gave to my Father in Law. My mother crashed it three days after I purchased it in 1995. It would have been declared a total loss because of the extent of the wreck from the person in the Jeep Cherokee that ran the stop sign and hit her but the car was brand new so paying off the car was a couple of thousand more than fixing it. I think the damage ran about $12000.00, I'll let you know what I get back from that report.

Carfaxs do not guarantee clean cars, that's why people use as many tools as possible when investigating a specific car. (Maintain. Records, Diagnosis/Professional Examination, Test Drive...etc) It's good practice to check the background of a vehicle. My friend almost purchased a car that had its odometer tampered with. (Advertised with 50k miles but really had 150k) There are some desperate people out there.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

I decided against purchasing this vehicle due to lack of maintenance record.

No 30K, 60K service and owner was selling the car only after 1 year of ownership.

I am still searching for 95 or 96.

R.

Kalamazoo, MI