2004 Es 300 (330?)

We test drove the 2001 ES300 when it first came out. We loved the luxury and beauty of the car, but were disappointed by the engine and handling. I have been hearing rumors that the 2004 model will have the larger 330 engine, which should put some extra pep into the car. Does anyone know of any other modifications which we can expect in the 2004 model? I would love to feel that I could buy an ES 300 (330?) which would be able to handle my daily commute. Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated.

From what I understand, the only changes will be the badge and the engine with a minor freshening coming the next year.

I have an 03 300, and I was a little dissapointed with the performance at first also, but honestly (and steviej will back me up here) now that I've gotten used to how to drive the car, it has plenty of pep. You dont want to floor it, just give it good steady throttle. I've heard the 330 will be several thousand dollars more expensive too, being priced closer to the RX330 to put more distance between it and the IS300. So, I say drive an 03 300 and see what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your helpful suggestion, SWO3ES. I will use it when test driving the 03 ES300 this summer. I believe, however, that Lexus should not demand that their owners develop a pattern of acceleration that is different from that used in most, if not all, other cars in order to obtain maximum acceleration. I also checked out "steviej" postings on the "other" forum which confirm what you say.

As a newbie I don't want to make a fuss. However, I thought that the coming version of the ES300 would be a matter of more interest in this community. Another site that I read on this forum discussed the matter of "censoring" of postings. Is there something which we are not able to read at this time. As moderator, I appreciate your answer to this puzzle. Thanks.

I'm afraid that I dont at all understand what you mean. Censoring of postings, information you can't see? Huh? This site is in no way affiliated to the Toyota Motor Company, I have no information that anyone else doesn't have. I don't work for Lexus. I've given you all the information I or anyone else for that matter knows about the ES330. I've compiled it from talking with people in the industry, salespeople, other dealership staff, other enthusiasts, analysts, and just plain detective work on my part. Lexus is VERY tight lipped, and they have released nothing about the ES330 except "It will have the 3.3 liter V6, it will be called the ES330 with few changes" thats it. Its not a new redesign or anything, its just an engine upgrade. I was trying to share with you my opinion that if you waited, you'd be dissapointed by the lack of changes, and the increase in price.

Its not that people aren't interested or excited about the "new" model, its that there's no information out there for us to be excited about.

Sorry about the negative tone of the prior post. I appreciate your searching for what information could be found, and recognize that the fact that there may not be much information out there is certainly not your doing. I also appreciate your willinginess to put in your own opinion that the price increase might not be worth the horsepower increase.

Thanks, Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be the same horsepower rating as the RX330, as the RX330 already has the new engine. 230hp, 242ft-lbs of torque. I'm sure it'll have exactly that. Thats why i've been telling people not to get so excited about the ES330, we're only talking about 20 horses and 22 lb-feet. That'll take .5 seconds off the 0-60, thats it.

In all honesty it may actually have less hp than the RX, citing the RX300 as an example. Same engine, 220 hp while the ES only has 210. If this is true we may see only 220 out of the 3.3 liter.

Lexus has no intentions of making this car fast.

I spoke to a Lexus executive and he told me that they will continue to have, EBD, VSC, and ABS in the new model and they're going to discontinue AVS. It seems the AVS wasn't that successful as far as sales were concerned.

Yeah its so cool until it breaks down LOL. Then it costs $2000 a strut.

Actually its Lexus' own fault that it didnt sell, I would have gotten it if it were availiable anywhere but CA. They never shipped any, how could they expect it to sell well?

Trust me ... failing adjustable struts aren't fun. :wacko:

I'm going to replace the $400 ea. struts w/ normal ones and just disconnect the button. If Lexus builds them like they used to, they should last you up to 119,208 miles then go out.

Sell the car now, while you can! :D

:cheers:

back to the original content of the thread.

Toyota has posted on their web site that the 2004 Solara will have a 3.3L V6 VVT-i, 5 spd automatic as the V6 option.

They post numbers of 225 hp and 240 torque.

This will probably be the same for the awaited ES330.

My guess is the hype begins 9/1 and the debut is 10/1.

steviej