Aftermarket Oxygen Sensor

Shadow

The emissions shouldn't change between aftermarket and OEM. It's just a sensor and as long as it does its job and sends the corect info to the ECU then it should be the same. Other than a significant cost savings, the only difference between OEM and universal is that the OEM has the factory wiring harness plug built in.

Check out this link:

http://www.lexls.com/suboxygensensor.html

The emissions shouldn't change between aftermarket and OEM.  It's just a sensor and as long as it does its job and sends the corect info to the ECU then it should be the same.

I agree if, and only if, the behavior of aftermarket universal sensor is the same as OEM, that is, the voltage vs. O2 concentration curves are exactly the same. But are they? The ECU is calibrated to work with OEM sensors, so unless aftermarket sensors performs similar to that of OEM sensors throughout the designed range, the system won't perform optimally as designed.

I have seen cars with driveability problems with no diagnostic code and the techs would have hell of a time troubleshooting until someone points out aftermarket O2 sensors were installed. Once replaced with OEM, driveability problems all but disappear.

Just curious how aftermarket O2 works out for LS, seems like all are well so far.

The factory part number for the front sensor of the '90-'94 LS400 is 89495-50010 in case you want to shop online for the best price. No Toyota models use the 89495-50010 sensor so you can't buy it from a Toyota dealer because 89495-50010 is a Lexus exclusive part number.

I always used genuine factory original replacement sensors on my 454,000 mile Toyota that still passes Calif. smog tests because even if they cost $50 more, one is assurred of easy installation, perfect fit, optimum gas mileage and lowest emissions and therefore optimum emission componet system life.

If I was shopping for an aftermarket sensor my choices would be Denso, then NGK and lastly Bosch. Factory original sensors are made by Denso.

I'd just use a Denso oxygen sensor. Guy on Ebay was selling new ones for around $60 as I remember.

I bought two of these for about $119 (including shipping). Their wires were longer than the ones that came off my car; otherwise they looked exactly the same. I think the only difference is that they didn’t come in Toyota boxes.

Hey, it's not like I did a scientific study on this....I don't have pre and post emissions readings :lol: . I can tell you I got better mileage after replacing them.

I'm not pulling your arm here, get whatever you want, I don't care. Just giving you a money saving option :D. If you want to pay more for OEM ones I don't mind at all. It's personal preference in a nutshell. Good luck with whatever you get :) .

Hey, it's not like I did a scientific study on this....I don't have pre and post emissions readings  :lol: .  I can tell you I got better mileage after replacing them. 

I'm not pulling your arm here, get whatever you want, I don't care.  Just giving you a money saving option  :D.  If you want to pay more for OEM ones I don't mind at all.  It's personal preference in a nutshell.  Good luck with whatever you get  :) .

Of course nothing is scientific in these forums. Just wonder if anyone has pre and post emission data. Nothing's wrong with not having one. :)

I believe we all are reasonably intelligent and can make our own decisions as to what to buy and not requesting anyone else to care. We need an open mind and more alternatives and this forum is a great medium to do that. :cheers:

Anyway, my 1990 Ls400, with 208k but still running with no error lite on dash board for now. I just wonder when I have to change the O2 sensors, and which one? Plz help. :D

No real time that you "have" to change your sensors unless you're getting a check-engine light. But at 208k and 15 years, you might just see an increase in performance and mileage as your sensors are kind of old.