What Octane Gas

Tad

I just bought the car a few months ago. It has just under 38,000 miles on it and I've been using the highest octane gas. Now, with gas prices so out of sight, will it hurt the car's engine or any other system if I use "regular lowest octane?" Will the car still have the same great "kick?" Will the mileage be better or worse? Many thanks.

My wife's 2000 RX300 AWD has always run just fine on regular 87 octane, usually Citgo or whatever brand BJ's sells here. She's approaching 85,500 miles and the vehicle has never pinged at all. I keep it tuned up with the fluids and filters fresh - that can be the difference between an engine that runs fine on 87 octane and one that doesn't.

However, I'm not sure what great "kick" you're talking about. The only "kick" an RX300 is ever going to have is if you get out of the vehicle and haul off and kick it yourself....

I would personally invest the extra bucks; just another worry to scratch off your back. If the manufacture recommends it....stick with it unless its practiced by the majority.

I dont think there will be a significant change in gas milage. What I usually do is insert fuel injector cleaner into my tank every other oil change. And also change your PCV valve as recommended. These services seem to help with gas milage. From my perspective, the milage really comes down to how you drive the car and in what conditions.

I use reg in my 2001 RX300. It does not ping and it never has. I have driven in the mountains as well as at sea level at temps from 15 to 100 F and it has always run great. I guess the spark retardation system does work.

I use Sunoco Ultra 94 (Toyota suggests min 91 octane). Since your RX has the same basic mechanicals as my 01 ES (but heavier), I would suggest to use a higher octane rating as in the long run even though the fuel is more expensive, you will get better overall fuel economy (more miles per tank) & always have a clean fuel system if a high quality high octane gas is used. B)

:cheers: