Changing Oil Filter

Works like a champ and I never have to remove the drain plug or replace the gasket ever again. Stay away from the FRAM SURE DRAIN systems. If anyone interested, I can provide name and number where they can get these valves. I've used on 4 vehicles and never a problem.

yes, please name & number & link where I may buy it.

tnx

The first time I changed the oil in my es300 I called the dealer and asked them if there was any special trick to removing the oil filter without making a mess.

Their reply.......................... "That's what we are here for"

I thought that was pretty annoying, but I am a bit more willing to accept it knowing it is a univeral problem. It also took me a half an hour to FIND the filter!! I kept looking underneath the car, like every other car I had ever owned!!

The first time I changed the oil in my es300 I called the dealer and asked them if there was any special trick to removing the oil filter without making a mess.

These is a simple trick - just patience. Let the engine oil drain 2-3 hours or even overnight before attempting to remove the oil filter. Then very little oil will come out of the filter when you remove it (if you use a Toyota filter)

thanks,

it's cost $26 shipped vs. $13 for SureDrain - twice much

Why you don't like SD? too slow to drain oil? etc?

I agree that operate valve is easy then SD.

Do you use it with Nipple (extra $3)?

Mike,

The FRAM system is a 2-piece system. It is a quick disconnect that you have to mate and disconnect each time. 1 more part that I don't need plus is messier since have a tube you drain through. The fumoto system is just an open and closed spring loaded valve. You do not need the nipple. Now, when I drain my oil, I do run it up on ramps for the extra clearance. Just a preference of mine but well worth doing!

Also, I tried the FRAM system on my Oldsmobile and it leaked!

Their reply.......................... "That's what we are here for"

I thought that was pretty annoying,  but I am a bit more willing to accept it knowing it is a univeral problem.  It also took me a half an hour to FIND the filter!!  I kept looking underneath the car, like every other car I had ever owned!!

Lexus engineers MUST provide work / load for Lexus service dept, otherwise dealer will not get paid for even simple service - again IMO.

Hide oil filter in unpleasant place is one of tricks :P

I think that was made for the purpose.

Otherwise - how you can justify oil change and tire rotation for 5k service for $189.99 !!! Yes, service washed car too.

Anyway, it doesn't make sense for me to pay $189 for each 5k service.

Some told story about a car where front tire has to be taken off for oil filter replacement :wacko:

That was real rocket science to make everyone go to dealer for oil change.

This might be a little off subject, but do any of you fill your new filters with oil before installing them? I always have because I heard that the engine won't be oil starved on first start up. That can get really messy if the new filter slips out of your hand while you are installing it!

This might be a little off subject, but do any of you fill your new filters with oil before installing them?  I always have because I heard that the engine won't be oil starved on first start up.  That can get really messy if the new filter slips out of your hand while you are installing it!

For my another Honda I put small portion of oil in ~1/10, as it's located under hood in vertical position that oil amount doesn't comes out and enough for first start. But, nothing like that will be done at service as it's wasting time for any mechanic - IMO

For 20 years Toyota has mounted the oil filter underneath the exhaust manifold on nearly all it's front wheel drive models sold worldwide including those sold in its home market of Japan. Do-it-yourselfers who read the factory repair manual would see Toyota recommends a cap type oil filter wrench because it makes changing the oil filter easy http://www.saber.net/~monarch/oilfiltcap.jpg

So owners who want the job to be easy should simply buy the right tools - a $5 cap wrench and a $5 3/8 " ratchet handle. Then to eliminate the problem of oil spilling when removing the filter simply let the engine oil drain 3 hours or more before attempting removal. Optional: you can partially prefill the oil filter with oil before installation, but to avoid spillage, don't prefill it to the brim - fill just enough to soak the filter element with oil.

This might be a little off subject, but do any of you fill your new filters with oil before installing them?  I always have because I heard that the engine won't be oil starved on first start up.  That can get really messy if the new filter slips out of your hand while you are installing it!

never have, never will, and never had a problem.

steviej