1998 Gs300 Prem. Sound V. Nakamichi

I just threw up a post in the Nakamichi Stereo Vs. "Standard Unit" topic asking for a detailed comparison between the two. I'll paste it here again:

I would like to know if the Premium System pretty much sucks or if it's quite nice for a standard system for a $45G + car?

I just found out that I am getting a 1998 GS300 tomorrow (June, 27th, 2003) as a surprise. I have been reading up about the car because I don't know to much about Lexus' and have more expertise in BMW's and Infiniti's. Anyway, I haven't seen the car yet and wanted to know what you thought of the sound quality between the Prem. Sound System v. the Nakamichi one. Any idea if they have an AUX input for a Delphi SkiFi Satellite Radio Receiver, or is the only option to use an FM Modulator? I don't know which one I'm getting and would like to know the watts of the Premium System, that I think is made my Pioneer? I think the Nakamichi has 220 watts through 5 amps and seven speakers? How would you compare these two systems with Infiniti and Bose car audio systems. Lastly, are the HID's optional in the '98 300/400, or were HID's not available in '98. Thanks. So excited to get the car so that's why I'm asking all these questions when I could wait a day and find out myself. Thanks all.

Chris Whatley

Auburn, AL

the nakamichi sounds better than the pioneer but the pioneer system as good as any other oem system with 20 watt speakers. of course no oem system is going to compare to the 1000 watt aftermarket systems with their 200 watrt rated speakers. also the pioneer system more reliable than bose or infiniti systems. the main problem with pioneer system is it has automatic sound leveling system and is missing the 5 control buttons that the nakamichi system has. you be the judge if the microphone in the radio on the pioneer system which senses the road noise and turns the sound up and down automatically is worth not having the 5 control buttons. i dont think so but not having to adjust the sound up and down could be an advantage in certain situations.

I received my '99 GS300 Friday night and absolutely love it. It was a huge step up from a '93 Ford Explorer with 164,000 miles. I have the Lexus Premium System and I believe that it sounds GREAT to my ears. I've been throwing in all types of music the past two days and find that the 215 watts (stated by the window sticker) are plenty loud. I was thinking about what PIONEERSUBY said about not having the 5 knobs from the Nak system. I'm sure you guys all know that the sound countrols on the audio selector knob above the ASL button (Bass, Mid, Treble, Fade, Bal) are just as easy to access. You can turn the ASL off. I think I can tell a difference when the sound rises, just as you can slightly with the Delco systems thrown in GM autos. Anyway, I have not heard the Levinson or Nak systems yet and was quite worried about how the Lexus Premium Audio would sound, but I am thoroughly impressed!!! When you pay for a Lexus, you should be getting a great sound system. Lastly, relating to the '98 Prem. System. not having the 12-pin connector for the aux adapter from AutoToys.com, is this a problem for the '99 GS Prem. Systems too? Thanks.

• 1 year later...
I received my '99 GS300 Friday night and absolutely love it. It was a huge step up from a '93 Ford Explorer with 164,000 miles. I have the Lexus Premium System and I believe that it sounds GREAT to my ears. I've been throwing in all types of music the past two days and find that the 215 watts (stated by the window sticker) are plenty loud. I was thinking about what PIONEERSUBY said about not having the 5 knobs from the Nak system. I'm sure you guys all know that the sound countrols on the audio selector knob above the ASL button (Bass, Mid, Treble, Fade, Bal) are just as easy to access. You can turn the ASL off. I think I can tell a difference when the sound rises, just as you can slightly with the Delco systems thrown in GM autos. Anyway, I have not heard the Levinson or Nak systems yet and was quite worried about how the Lexus Premium Audio would sound, but I am thoroughly impressed!!! When you pay for a Lexus, you should be getting a great sound system. Lastly, relating to the '98 Prem. System. not having the 12-pin connector for the aux adapter from AutoToys.com, is this a problem for the '99 GS Prem. Systems too? Thanks.

Does the Nak system in a 98 GS400 have the ASL or something like that?

Thanks

the 98 lexus nak system has a dac box between the headunit and the cd changer which is like an equalizer which can be controlled by the 5 knobs on the front of the nak headunit. it doesnt have automatic sound leveling (asl )like the pioneer system which changes your volume automatically. . also the nak amp is much superior to the pioneer amp and is 3 times bigger so is mounted in the right quareterpanel of the trunk not in the dash to the right of the changer like the pioneer amp. . it was actually made by nakamichi like the equailzer. all other parts of the system were made by pioneer even on the nak system.