Oil Changes And Use Of Synthetic Oils

:unsure:  :unsure: I want to find out if synthetic oil is a good deal for my car.  Also how often should you changes your oil, regular oil, and also synthetic oil?

Welcome to the club Fd B) Let me suggest that you should do a search about this topic as it has been covered many times in pretty much all the threads here & has been beaten to death. This topic also opens up a huge debate about which oil is better ('dino' oil or synthetic). I use synthetic personally (Amsoil ASL 5W 30 along with Amsoil HD oil filter.....I use to use Mobil 1). Go by the oil change intervals outlined in your owners manual & use a quality oil filter (stay away from Fram). Enjoy the forums! :D

:cheers:

my 2 cents....I use conventional, only becuase my vehicle already has 130,000 miles. I would be leaking like a MF if i switched over. And besides, my engine already has 130,000 miles of wear on it. I am using mobil synthetic blend with Lucas Oil stabilizer and a bosch 3330 oil filter. (for the price ($5.99) and amount of surface area and pleat # coverage, the bosch is the way to go....unless you want to pay double for the mobil filter which is a bit better). What ever oil you use, make sure it is the newest standard of ILSAC GF-4 compliant. It has better wear protection than the previous GF-3, only about 1/100 of a mm of wear varience or something, but it is better than no diffrence.

But yes, Amsoil is the way to go if u want synthetic, much better than the mobil.

fram is crap

If you do not have any oil leaks with the current oil you are using, you should have no problems switching to synthetic if youso choose. But I agree, if you do have an oil leak either have it fixed before you switch or stay with dino oil. B)

:cheers:

this is too common of a question with a huge thread in the general maintance section discussing oil.

I am going to lock this as it is not needed if you have a specific question after reading that then make a new thread with the direct question.

switching to synthetic after years of normal oil usually always causes leaks from it cleaning buildup which opens leaks in dried up gaskets.