Switch Blade Type Keys

LinuxFan

They do have one for Lexus(I guess they just don't have any available right now.); I bought one for my ES. I had to pay more to get it cut($45) than what the key costed! They are cheaply made. The one I have is probably almost 2 years old, and the blade wiggles a lot, and I miss my remote function when I have just that key! I gave that key to the Lex dealer once when it was in for service; my service advisor was dumbfounded --wait, wooh, where did you get that? We don't sell those here! :lol: Here's a pic:

DSC00656.sized.jpg

Remember whom you bought it from?

I would really like one and hopefully they have made it more sturdy.

I am pondering if I could be happy without my remote key as well, but still has not decided either way.

Who cut the key for you? Must it be the dealer or can any keysmith cut it?

As you can see, I am digging it.

I'm not positive about the seller, but I think it is the same guy in the link above. I had a locksmith do it though I didn't ask the dealer. I'm not sure if any locksmith can do it because the locksmith told me how expensive the machinery is that is required. In fact, they were hesitant to do the cut since the key blade is not a hard metal, so they were afraid that the machine was going to melt the key and ruin their machine. They ended up doing it though with no problems.

What's the point of the flip key unless it has a built in remote? I don't think Blake918's key has a built in remote.

I certainly wouldn't want it for a '98 LS because you'd have to use the remote fob and the flip key - too much to carry around in your pocket. I like the newest Lexus keys with all 3 buttons on the head - not too bulky.

The flip key was a good concept that should have been embraced by more makers (or somethinf similar). Think about it - the first introduction people have to their car is the key. If they think the key is "cool" then they already have a decent first impression of the vehicle before they even start it.

I think VW & Audi may be the only ones using the flip keys anymore. My wife's Passat has one. It's a little on the bulky side, but not too bad. Mercedes Benz was using them in the mid 90's until they switched to the "smartkey" in '99 where you don't even need the metal key part to start the car. Not sure about BMW.

Personally I liked the flip key for about 5 days, then it got old. Its gimmickry IMHO and thats why most carmakers don't use them. I would certainly not trade remote functionality for one.

Yeah... I won't trade remote for one of these keys, but I am leaning towards it for the valet key or the key I give to the service guys or something like that, but not the master key. I want my remote and I like having only one key instead of having a key and then the remote fob.