Thoughts On Potential Purchase...

branshew

I am looking at a two owner '93 LS400. Black on Black, 107K miles, all available options for that year, everything works, leather is in decent shape (a few scratches but no rips), original chrome wheels. $6500.00. Carfax is clean and indicates correct mileage. The car idles smooth and drives the same, no warning lights.

I'm not such a fan of the chrome wheels, but that could easily be changed. Only thing I am unsure of is the service history. I called Lexus to see what they have done to it service wise. At 95K they have a thermostat and idle pulley, also regular service, oil changes and a battery while still under warranty, but there seems to be a gap between the warranty service and the idle pulley (not that it wasn't serviced - just not at Lexus). At this point I would assume that it needs a timing belt.

Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions?

Check out the engine bay for any leaks. The big one is going to be the power steering fluid resevoir, check around that base for leaking. Also drive it over some small cracks in the road or small potholes to listen for any clunks, that may indicate new upper control arms. Verify that the AC works.....very costly repair.

I would also assume a timing belt change unless the owner can provide some receipts. Also, ask about the famous dash light problem. Do they work ALL the time ? are the slow to come on in the colder weather ?

Also with the engine running open the bonnet and listen for a kind of exhaust blowing sound....if you hear a chuffing sort of sound that will be the EGR pipe leaking,expensive labour change for that....

Also check the rear coil springs they have a habit of breaking...

Good luck...