Control Arm Or Tie Rod?

nc211

Ok, here's my problem. My 95 has begun to fall apart it seems. The car wobbles and shifts from left to right at speeds below 80mph. It smooths out at faster speeds. Although my rear differential mount bushings are bad, the front seems to be causing problems too. I've read about the bushings, and tie rods. But I can't tell which one is causing the problem.

*When I pull into a parking lot, turning the wheel, I hear very noticable "clicks" coming from the wheel area.

*I have a "clunking" noise up front on bumps, especially on dips in the road where the suspension compresses down.

*I am feeling thumps in my steering wheel, and the car feels like it isn't tracking very well with relation to the steering. Sort of wanders.

*I'm feeling every bump in the road. I'm feeling the road noise, and not just hearing it.

*But, the tires are in balance and in alignment. The car does not pull, it just wanders, steering has very loose feeling. Feels like the front wheels are on very tight.

* Have severe vibration/wabling/shaking in the car. Especially on smooth surfaces "smooth black top" under 80 mph.

Here is what's new: New lower ball joints, new strut rods. Shocks are ok, but got new one on passenger side. Have new oem's to put on this weekend for the rest of the car. Rear carrier bushings replaced.

I can't figure out if the wobbling could be the tie rods due to that clicking and twitchy feeling in my steering. Or if it's my control arm bushings that are causing the parts to wiggle around? I have no idea what a bad control arm bushing looks like.

If it is the bushings, and I'm thinking it's probably time anyway "98k miles", is it better to go the after market route on the uppers, or replace the uppers with oem arm due to the upper ball joint? Can the upper ball joint be replaced on it's own?

Thanks all.

I believe it is your upper control arm. Will cost you about $470 from the dealer if i recall. I will strongly suggest you get it FIXED asap cuz if it gives you have bigger issues to worry about at that point.

I was told my upper control arms are weak, but I never noticed any of the symtoms you describe. Apparently, you can't replace just the bushings, you have to replace the whole "wishbone" upper control arm. It is made of magniesium they (the dealer) said. I thought I saw a thread here somewhere about replacing the bushings, but I can't find it again.

The price is probably worth it, ask if it includes alignment.. I drive around the triangle once in awhile, worst traffic in the US in my opinion. I was in Manhatten and North Jersey Tuesday and their traffic can't hold a candle to Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.

How many miles on your 95?

HAHAHAHA!!! I agree with you COMPLETELY on our traffic! It blows! Mine's got 98,000 miles on her. I hate to say it, but I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and replace the control arms. I've got no choice anymore, they're toast.

NC, what you described sounds just like what my ES was doing before we had the lca's changed. Did the dealer ever inspect your control arms? They should be able to tell you if the bushings are cracked or not.

Yeah they did, said everything was fine. Also said they fixed my vibration problems too, of which they obviously didn't. Had a young kid as a tech and I don't think he's up to snuff on the cars yet. I've decided to just shoot the wad and buy all new control arms all around the car, as I'm sure that 's what it is too. I've cirlced them with new parts, and still getting the problem. They're the only things left.