Steering Wheel Whine

I have a 2000 ES 300. When I steer the wheel it whines a little. It's a faint noise and it sounds like it's coming right from the wheel. It's definitely not an external noise. HAs anyone experienced this? Know what it is? Or most importantly, how I can fix it?

I have similar problem with my 2000, especially when I'm backing out from parking in morning and when I straighten the wheel it sounds like a whiney groan. Don't seem to hear it when I'm turning the wheel at other speeds. Last year took I took it to Lexus dealer and he said it was a bushing and they supposedly fixed it, but it's back. It's time for me to gather all my warranty complaints and head for Lexus dealer. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with service from local Toyota dealer.

I have similar problem with my 2000, especially when I'm backing out from parking in morning and when I straighten the wheel it sounds like a whiney groan. Don't seem to hear it when I'm turning the wheel at other speeds. Last year took I took it to Lexus dealer and he said it was a bushing and they supposedly fixed it, but it's back. It's time for me to gather all my warranty complaints and head for Lexus dealer. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with service from local Toyota dealer.

My power steering pump is going, that could be what is going on with yours as well. groaning/whining is a classic sign pre-failure.

Army,

Thanks for suggestion. I only have 36K miles now and it was about 25K miles when I first detected the noise. Seema a little early for power steering pump, BUT, stuff happens with technology.

that is early, but not unheard of.

have your poser steering system flushed, that may take care of the noise.

i see you car is a 2000, so any chance its still under the manufacturers warranty?

i see you car is a 2000

It's unheard of for the PS pump to go bad on a 5 year old Toyota. Steering column squeeks can happen, however, and the cure sometimes involves removing the steering wheel and greasing

some parts. Which specific parts? I don't know because I've never done the job.

i see you car is a 2000

It's unheard of for the PS pump to go bad on a 5 year old Toyota. Steering column squeeks can happen, however, and the cure sometimes involves removing the steering wheel and greasing

some parts. Which specific parts? I don't know because I've never done the job.

:rolleyes: no it isnt. i have heard of it. many times.

I'll not get into this with you again. toyotas arent gods gift cars.

Hello,

Simple question,

If you look your steering column going down and meet the fire wall there is boot(they called dust boot). Should you have to fill grease there or not?

Thanks,

not sure...i wouldnt think so.

• 1 month later...
I had always thought that some spray silicone would do the trick.  I'll try this and get back to all of you.

I have been having a similar problem with my steering column. The grinding sound is very annoying. It happens all the time. It is going in the shop today and I will mention the above solutions. Unfortunately when I c/o in Feb. I was under warranty, NO LONGER! :cries: I'll be checking back. Love my Lexus though! Vicki

• 1 month later...

I also got my power steering noise recently fixed on my '01 ES. The dealership lubricated the rubber boot behind the steering column, and now there is no more noise in the morning or anytime when the steering wheel is in use. They were also nice enough to check out the P/S fluid and pump, and they're in good condition :D

I have a 1999 ES 300 and my steering wheel whines when I'm backing out of my garage.  Like someone else mentioned, I don't really notice it at other speeds and it doesn't seem to effect it's performance.

Like I mentioned from my post, lubricating the rubber boot underneath the steering column should solve the problem. I took it to a Lexus dealership to do the job for $72 (including 2 days for a loaner ES).