Intake problem

Jma4816775

Personally I think an intake is not worth getting if you compare the performance versus the price and risk. Risk being voiding the warranty and the intake leading to other problems in the car.

I had the SRT intake for my IS. I wasn't dissatisfied with it, but when I look at how much it cost and the very minimal gain it had on the performance, I would suggest against it. Especially tapping in to the ECU can lead to other serious problems.

If you're interested in taking this up for a hobby, I would get an intake that doesn't tap into the ECU, or an exhaust to start off.

• 9 months later...
i'm thinkin about to get a intake, but i don't know which intake should i get, and also will it really make my car faster or it will just make the sound??

Thanks

The intake on an IS is more or less a sound maker. I was at Irwindale race way and about five IS were their doing thing. They all had nice looking intaeks but one. One of the IS had a stock air box with a drop in filter. All of the IS were within a 1/2 of a mile difference of each other at the end of the track. I saw every one of the time slips. The IS with the stock air box was the quickest. As for my self, i have a 2001 GS with an air filter kit on it. I did a few dyno runs with my stock air box on and with the aftermarket kit on. there was no increace in power. I have never seen an honest hp gain from any type of intake. Let me correct myself. i have seen some power gains from drop in type filters.

P.S.

I left that aftermarket filter system on my GS more or less for looks. bottom line, that is waht it came down too.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm thinkin about to get a intake, but i don't know which intake should i get, and also will it really make my car faster or it will just make the sound??

Thanks

I saw every one of the time slips. The IS with the stock air box was the quickest.

Well, you'll get some gains from the Intake but ONLY if you modify your ECU... Also with any aftermarket intake you'll loss a tad bit onthe lowend but where you'll see the gains is mostly highend... I think maybe that's why the stock IS had the quiker times..

• 3 weeks later...