93 Es300 ... Radiator Issues...

So I'm changing the radiator cap on my 93 ES300 (I said it was a boring topic!). Mine is the older type with 2 rad caps - 1 on the top tank of the rad itself, another on the filler on the engine. The filler on the engine was no problem, a MOTORAD brand from Canadian Tire ($8.00) did the trick. I have a problem with the other cap on the rad tank - it won't come off. It looks like it has a plastic cover on it, with a small "slot" on each side that engages a "tab" on the rad, making it impossible to turn and remove. A label on the cap says "NEVER REMOVE - NOT REFILL PORT". This might deter some would-be mechanics from trying to remove this part... but not me! I tried prying, pulling, and wiggling - and finally a bit of well deserved swearing. Nothing. I thought it best to leave it alone until I did more research on this matter. So, I had a cold beer and gave up.

My question to you all: Is this part removable? How? Should I just leave it alone as it doesn't seem to be leaking or causing any distress at the moment? Does anybody care about this?

By the way, I will be replacing this radiator with a new one before too long, anyone have any advice? Will my new aftermarket radiator have this same annoying problem? Or am I over-reacting to this whole radiator thing?

Just wondering...

tck.

Did you try pushing the cap down, while turning it in a counter clockwise direction?

I can't push it down or turn it, the two tabs on the rad that engage the slots in the cap prevent this.

I'm not sure if I've described this clearly, I'll post a pic tomorrow if it would help.

tck...

I replaced my radiator with an aftermarket one and it has that cap on it too. Why do you need to take it off?

... because it's been on there for more than 12 years, the other cap was leaking, so I figured that since I'm replacing one... why not change both? I have been told by a sometimes reliable source that both caps should be changed - but I'll just leave it if I can't get it off. It could be that the cap is permanently attached - I don't know. I just wondered if anyone else had tried to do this.

By the way... where did you get your aftermarket rad? How much $$? I checked at a local autoparts store, they had 2 in stock, quoted $213.00 Canadian... pretty reasonable, I thought. .

tck...

The cap on the rad is not really ment to be removed and it is not a rad cap ,it is just a seal.

Their is no thermostatic spring mechanism under it just a rubber seal.

but it does need to be pressed down and turned to be removed.

The cap on the rad is not really ment to be removed and it is not a rad cap ,it is just a seal.

Their is no thermostatic spring mechanism under it just a rubber seal.

but it does need to be pressed down and turned to be removed.

mine has a spring on it, if you turn it half a turn, it will spring the rest of the way loose so you can remove it.

if the cap was on there for 12 years, then the coolant was never changed, correct? if it wasnt you should probably do a completel backflush with the radiator. unfortuantely if the cap has never been removed, then its probably corroded on.

check the Fluidyne Lineup for a match for your vehicle. i dont have the wbesite offhand, but do a google search, they make some of the bast radiators in the world.

I got mine off ebay. It was something like $85 shipped. brand new too - there are several radiator sellers on there. It's metal too, not that crap plastic that cracks..that's what happened to my old rad, it had a fatty crack along the top.

mine has a spring on it, if you turn it half a turn, it will spring the rest of the way loose so you can remove it.

if the cap was on there for 12 years, then the coolant was never changed, correct? if it wasnt you should probably do a completel backflush with the radiator.  unfortuantely if the cap has never been removed, then its probably corroded on.

check the Fluidyne Lineup for a match for your vehicle.  i dont have the wbesite offhand, but do a google search, they make some of the bast radiators in the world.

Your cap sounds different than mine - I can't push it down or turn it, it's held in place by the two tabs on the rad top tank that I described previously. I guess they really mean it when they say on the label "NEVER REMOVE..."

The coolant has been changed several times... flushed & refilled by the Lexus dealer. It's been a while since the last time, tho. I figured that since I'll be changing out the rad in the near future anyway, I'd wait & completely replace the coolant then. The rad in my car is original, it's looking a bit scruffy - the last time I sprayed it with my powerwasher some of the cooling fins became dislodged. I looked more closely at it... lots of greenish corrosion on the surface. No leaks or other problems, tho. Not yet....

I thought Fluidyne only made racing radiators and oil coolers... I'll check out their website. They're probably really pricey, tho.

Thanks

tck...

post-10851-1111162830_thumb.jpgpost-10851-1111163809_thumb.jpgpost-10851-1111163894_thumb.jpg

The rad in my car is original, it's looking a bit scruffy - the last time I sprayed it with my powerwasher some of the cooling fins became dislodged. I looked more closely at it... lots of greenish corrosion on the surface.

In southeastern Canada and northeastern USA the exterior fins of radiators can corrode from road salt exposure.

In southeastern Canada and northeastern USA the exterior fins of radiators can corrode from road salt exposure.

Here in Eastern Ontario, Canada, our roads are white with encrusted salt at this time of year. A cloud of "salt dust" follows you when you drive down the street. Very corrosive to everything, but especially to cars. My house is on the banks of the St. Lawrence River... all that salt washes directly into the river when the snow melts. Can't be good for the fish, not to mention all the towns and cities (like my village) that draw their drinking water from the river. Oh, to live in sunny Southern Califonia! Only smog to worry about...

Enough preaching, already... I added some pictures of the offending radiator cap to my post above, just so you all can see what I'm talking about.

tck...

Here in Eastern Ontario, Canada, our roads are white with encrusted salt at this time of year. A cloud of "salt dust" follows you when you drive down the street. Very corrosive to everything, but especially to cars. My house is on the banks of the St. Lawrence River... all that salt washes directly into the river when the snow melts. Can't be good for the fish, not to mention all the towns and cities (like my village) that draw their drinking water from the river. Oh, to live in sunny Southern Califonia! Only smog to worry about...

Enough preaching, already... I added some pictures of the offending radiator cap to my post above, just so you all can see what I'm talking about.

tck...

that doesnt look like a lexus cap.

that doesnt look like a lexus cap.

I know - my previous Lexus, a '92 ES, didn't have one like this. Maybe a "one-year-only" part? If so... maybe I should try selling it on ebay.

**RARE**!!! Lexus rad cap!! ONE YEAR PRODUCTION ONLY!!! OWN A PIECE OF LEXUS HISTORY!!! ONE ONLY --- BID NOW!!! LOW RESERVE!!!

What do you think?? Any offers?

tck...

if the cap was on there for 12 years, then the coolant was never changed, correct? if it wasnt you should probably do a completel backflush with the radiator.  unfortuantely if the cap has never been removed, then its probably corroded on.

check the Fluidyne Lineup for a match for your vehicle.  i dont have the wbesite offhand, but do a google search, they make some of the bast radiators in the world.

Your cap sounds different than mine - I can't push it down or turn it, it's held in place by the two tabs on the rad top tank that I described previously. I guess they really mean it when they say on the label "NEVER REMOVE..."

The coolant has been changed several times... flushed & refilled by the Lexus dealer. It's been a while since the last time, tho. I figured that since I'll be changing out the rad in the near future anyway, I'd wait & completely replace the coolant then. The rad in my car is original, it's looking a bit scruffy - the last time I sprayed it with my powerwasher some of the cooling fins became dislodged. I looked more closely at it... lots of greenish corrosion on the surface. No leaks or other problems, tho. Not yet....

I thought Fluidyne only made racing radiators and oil coolers... I'll check out their website. They're probably really pricey, tho.

Thanks

tck...

post-10851-1111162830_thumb.jpgpost-10851-1111163809_thumb.jpgpost-10851-1111163894_thumb.jpg

Yup that's an OEM Lexus/Toyota radiator all right. My 1992 Camry V6 has that radiator style still and I replaced the radiator too a year ago with an aftermarket one and it has the same style again. My ES (a 1992) though doesn't have that style (only rad cap, no seal on top of radiator). Apparently the previous owner of my ES "retrofitted" it when he changed the radiator. Either way, I wouldn't worry about that seal on top the radiator since you're going to replace the radiator anyway in the future.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about that seal on top the radiator since you're going to replace the radiator anyway in the future.

I guess I'll just ignore it. I only wanted to change it to prevent possible problems out on the road. This car spends a lot of time on the highway, and I've always been careful to look after anything that could leave me stranded far from home - things like tires, rad hoses, belts, electrical items, etc. Anything that could immobilize the car if the part should fail. I just returned from a "banzai!" road trip, around 2000km in three days and the car ran flawlessly, as always. The ES300 is just perfect for those long, high speed cruises - just set the cruise control to 125km/h, sit back & enjoy the view. I want to keep it running this way for as long as possible.

I guess I'd better start trying to source my new radiator. Ebay, here I come!

tck...

• 2 months later...

Thanks

tck...

I just replaced the radiator on my '93 ES300 last weekend. That cap bothered the hell out of me and my new radiator did not come with a cap so I played around with the old rad. It does not seem like it at first, but that plastic will pop off without breaking. I used the old cap on my new radiator for a few days and it worked fine. I was even able to snap the plastic piece onto the new rad.

I replaced my 1993's radiator a few years ago also.

It was the same deal.

You can snap the black plastic "cover" off if you want. Then you can take the actual cap off.

It is a working radiator cap hidden under the plastic cover.

The spec on it is 13.5psi to 17.8psi

The cap on the engine is 12.1psi to 16.4psi

1mz-fe's, depending on installation apploication, have either just a 12.1-16.4, or the 13.5-17.8 cap installed on their radiator.

I replaced my 1993's radiator a few years ago also.

It was the same deal.

You can snap the black plastic "cover" off if you want. Then you can take the actual cap off.

It is a working radiator cap hidden under the plastic cover.

The spec on it is 13.5psi to 17.8psi

The cap on the engine is 12.1psi to 16.4psi

1mz-fe's, depending on installation apploication, have either just a 12.1-16.4, or the 13.5-17.8 cap installed on their radiator.

Thanks for the info.

I figured that it had to come off somehow! I was going to try prying it off... but I chickened out. I'll give it a try on the weekend. If I do break it... oh well, I guess I'll just have to order my new rad sooner than I wanted to.

tck...