Tranny May Be Shot

Today, i had to rotate my tires, so up on the jack the car goes. no problems. tires are rotated, bubble found in 1 tire so i put the spare on. i set it down, and tightent everything up. (i might add that the car was running off and on while on the jacks).

the front end was off angle quite a bit because i was already on a hill, and then had the front of the car jacked up. the car idled in par for a good 10 minutes (listened to the radio) while on the jacks.

anywahys, i set the car down when i was done and i get in to take a test drive to see if my pulling to the left has stoipped. i put it in drive, and take off, the car goes, then slips, then goes then slips, slips some more and then goes.

i drive it 10 miles with no problem. went in to my class...1 hr and 10 mins later i come out to go to class, back out of the parking spot (this may have been my fault) and all is well, but i go to put it in "D" and as i take off, it stumbles on itself again. the ony reason i say it couldbe me this time is because as it shifted to second, i let off the gas. after that, i went home, another 10 miles, not a hint of slip. i even floored it from one light and all was smooth as butter.

but the first time it slipped, it REALLY SLIPPED. i was afraid i wasnt going to make it up my hill. i want to add that while the car was up on jacks, i spun the drivers side tire around to make sure the wheel was straight. couls this have done it?

other than that and rotated the tires, i changed NOTHING>>>

HELP!!!

so as of now i am shopping for a remaned tranny anyone know if these guys are good?

http://www.nyblock.com/

Today, i had to rotate my tires, so up on the jack the car goes.  no problems.  tires are rotated, bubble found in 1 tire so i put the spare on.  i set it down, and tightent everything up.  (i might add that the car was running off and on while on the jacks).

the front end was off angle quite a bit because i was already on a hill, and then had the front of the car jacked up.  the car idled in par for a good 10 minutes (listened to the radio) while on the jacks.

anywahys, i set the car down when i was done and i get in to take a test drive to see if my pulling to the left has stoipped.  i put it in drive, and take off, the car goes, then slips, then goes then slips, slips some more and then goes.

i drive it 10 miles with no problem.  went in to my class...1 hr and 10 mins later i come out to go to class, back out of the parking spot (this may have been my fault) and all is well, but i go to put it in "D" and as i take off, it stumbles on itself again.  the ony reason i say it couldbe me this time is because as it shifted to second, i let off the gas. after that, i went home, another 10 miles, not a hint of slip.  i even floored it from one light and all was smooth as butter.

but the first time it slipped, it REALLY SLIPPED.  i was afraid i wasnt going to make it up my hill.  i want to add that while the car was up on jacks, i spun the drivers side tire around to make sure the wheel was straight.  couls this have done it? 

HELP!!!

so as of now i am shopping for a remaned tranny  anyone know if these guys are good?

Did you check the ATF?

JPI

Today, i had to rotate my tires, so up on the jack the car goes.  no problems.  tires are rotated, bubble found in 1 tire so i put the spare on.  i set it down, and tightent everything up.  (i might add that the car was running off and on while on the jacks).

the front end was off angle quite a bit because i was already on a hill, and then had the front of the car jacked up.  the car idled in par for a good 10 minutes (listened to the radio) while on the jacks.

anywahys, i set the car down when i was done and i get in to take a test drive to see if my pulling to the left has stoipped.  i put it in drive, and take off, the car goes, then slips, then goes then slips, slips some more and then goes.

i drive it 10 miles with no problem.  went in to my class...1 hr and 10 mins later i come out to go to class, back out of the parking spot (this may have been my fault) and all is well, but i go to put it in "D" and as i take off, it stumbles on itself again.  the ony reason i say it couldbe me this time is because as it shifted to second, i let off the gas. after that, i went home, another 10 miles, not a hint of slip.  i even floored it from one light and all was smooth as butter.

but the first time it slipped, it REALLY SLIPPED.  i was afraid i wasnt going to make it up my hill.  i want to add that while the car was up on jacks, i spun the drivers side tire around to make sure the wheel was straight.  couls this have done it? 

HELP!!!

so as of now i am shopping for a remaned tranny  anyone know if these guys are good?

Did you check the ATF?

JPI

i checked the fluid and it looked a little low, so i topped it off, about a cup or so of fluid. it is shifting better, but even when it was low, i couldnt get it to slip after that initial start after sitting for awhile...i couldnt make it slip no matter how hard i tired...i put the ECT on and punched it down the street...went all the way to 50 (wonjt say where, just that it was deserted road..speed limit 45) and smooth as ever. i mean i literally FLOORED it. spun the tires and everything...

i wonder where its leaking from?? shouldnt be the pan, just had that done by you in december...

the plug is tight...there is no fluid coming out of the visible seals or the axle shaf holes...leaking from input shaft and mixing with motor oil from RMS?

feel free to call me @ home ( the 817-485-xxxx number) jason...

BTW jason, check this out:

http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/albums/albu...02367.sized.jpg

the source of my pull...i cant believe you missed that LOL.

HELP!!!

Did you check the ATF?

JPI

i checked the fluid and it looked a little low, so i topped it off, about a cup or so of fluid. it is shifting better, but even when it was low, i couldnt get it to slip after that initial start after sitting for awhile...i couldnt make it slip no matter how hard i tired...i put the ECT on and punched it down the street...went all the way to 50 (wonjt say where, just that it was deserted road..speed limit 45) and smooth as ever. i mean i literally FLOORED it. spun the tires and everything...

i wonder where its leaking from?? shouldnt be the pan, just had that done by you in december...

the plug is tight...there is no fluid coming out of the visible seals or the axle shaf holes...leaking from input shaft and mixing with motor oil from RMS?

feel free to call me @ home ( the 817-485-xxxx number) jason...

BTW jason, check this out:

http://lexuslovers.com/gallery/albums/albu...02367.sized.jpg

the source of my pull...i cant believe you missed that LOL.

Josh,

I would check your ATF again. Low ATF will do exactly just like this. BTW, I was pretty happy after fixing the overheating problem and did overlook the tire. I will out of town tomorrow for the race. Call me if you need any help. How is the door?

JP Importz

ok, is it possible i hurt anything by driving it? tomorrow, when i leave for work, if it slips, i will stop right where i am and add fluid to it where it sits. i cant see it leaking from anything...it isnt burning it...so unless its mixing with the oil, i cant figure it out! the pan seal is dry... as is the ground all around the car.

ill tell you what, im not buying a new tranny if i can avoid it...and it has been shifting harder ever since i got it back from you jason for the filter change... i wonder if we didnt get the pan seal right? those can be EXTREMELY tricky, (as you well know) espeically if you didnt get every bit of gasket off. it happens.

whatever the cause, its clear that the tranny wil need rebuilt soon, cause once they start slipping, they dont really stop...

i wonder if the pressure hoses are leaking?

What would a rebuilt tranny cost for the ES 250 if that's in fact what is needed? & can one use the tranny from a 90 or 91 Camry V6 or is there a significant difference between the 2 cars that you have to find one out of an ES 250? Are they easy to find at a salvage yard or auto wrecker? :unsure:

:cheers:

What would a rebuilt tranny cost for the ES 250 if that's in fact what is needed?  & can one use the tranny from a 90 or 91 Camry V6 or is there a significant difference between the 2 cars that you have to find one out of an ES 250?  Are they easy to find at a salvage yard or auto wrecker?  :unsure:

:cheers:

The Gen II camry's tranny is slightley different. the ES250 transaxle is watered down, made to shift smoother. theoretcially a camry tranny would fit, but it woulnt feel right.

a rebuild will run around $1800 with R&I. not bad...BUT:

Hello,

This is not a good news. I am sorry to hear this.

We are waiting for UPDATE.

Thanks,

The slipping seems to have stopped...completely. i went to work, then i went downtown and came back after work, all total about 100 miles and not a slip one. im thinking the fluid was low.

here is my theory:

as long as the car is on level ground its ok. BUT, there is a seal around the speedo input (or some kind of openeing) hear the top of the tranny/diff case. i think that seal is bad and that the car being up on jacks (the car was probably at a 45 degree angle being already on a hill) lets the fluid drain out of that seal, which is no longer working (obviously). when it does this, it flows down on top of the tranny case (the lower bart fo the unit) and stis there.

this explains the fact that:

Its not VISIBLY leaking any fluid

The slippoing stopped after adding fluid.

apparently i didnt lose much, cause it only took a cup or so to stop the slip...

but im not holding my breath, as i said, once they start slipping, they dont really stop. but all is well and fluid is not burnt. i will have jason doa fluid drain and fill the next time im out there.

i also got this email back today from nyblock.com

Thank you for taking the time to contact the New York Block Exchange.

We have a used transmission that has been imported from Japan. While the exact mileage is unknown, these imports are desireable because it’s understood by professionals that they are well cared for and have lower mileage than the American equivalent.

The cost, $540 includes the delivery to a commercial address in Texas. Residential delivery is available at an additional charge of $75.00

The transmission is covered by a six month, replacement or refund only warranty. There is no mileage restriction, it’s unlimited.

For an additional charge of $50, we can provide parts and labor assistance.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have regarding our company or products by phone at 800-982-1711 or by email at sales@nyblock.com

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Nick Cardella

and i called him on the phone, they have quite a few of them, so there is no rush. of course im not going to replace it until it goes :)

maybe you should also give that filter that SK has been talking about.  that may help clear out some things too.  You never know.

i cant. it cant be made to fit thins vehicle without dodging power steering and coolant lines. it woudl disrupt the flow of trans fluid...

i edited my last post,...see above ;)

maybe your tranny just had a bubble or air pocket that worked its way out. No leaks just a drop in fluid level. Like when the coolant system gets an air pocket.

who knows. let it go and move on until is slips again.

steviej

maybe your tranny just had a bubble or air pocket that worked its way out.  No leaks just a drop in fluid level.  Like when the coolant system gets an air pocket.

who knows.  let it go and move on until is slips again.

steviej

a tranny with an air pocket? to get air in the system, dont you need a leak?

a tranny with an air pocket?  to get air in the system, dont you need a leak?

I would think not because it is not a sealed or closed system.

The dipstick is a perfect place for air to get in.

Could have happened when it was being filled, who knows, I brainstorming here.

If the fluid is not leaking and the level was low, then I would deduce that the fluid wasn't full to begin with. Air is the only think that I could think of that could displace the fluid from below to make it look full on the dipstick after you tranny work.

steviej

a tranny with an air pocket?  to get air in the system, dont you need a leak?

I would think not because it is not a sealed or closed system.

The dipstick is a perfect place for air to get in.

Could have happened when it was being filled, who knows, I brainstorming here.

If the fluid is not leaking and the level was low, then I would deduce that the fluid wasn't full to begin with. Air is the only think that I could think of that could displace the fluid from below to make it look full on the dipstick after you tranny work.

steviej

but the same fluid has been in it since december...its a good theory, but not sure if thats the case in my situation. but i do appreciate the input! :)

I will, for now, think my theory was right, because as of today it hasnt slipped after antoher 10-15 miles. hopefully all will be well. :) (i hope im not shooting myself in the foot).