Need Advice

I'm facing the same dilema with our "new to us" GS300.  We've had the car only a few days and find the previous owner's Michelin Pilot XGT V4 tires to be way toooooo noisy on rough roads.  They are smooth riding, positive steering, perfectly balanced, and as near as I can tell, perfectly round, but oh my the noise on rough surfaces.  Our driving style is similar to yours and I put Yokohama Avid Touring tires on our SC300 and I have to say they were great! They were very round (as opposed to slightly out of round), held a balance well, wore evenly, were good in the handling dry and wet department, were comfortable riding and QUIET! The Pilot XGT V4's appear to have about 2/3 tread remaining, but I am seriously considering taking them off the GS300 and putting on some Yokohama's.  Check out www.tirerack.com for product reviews and tests for numerous tire models.  I'd like to hear what you choose.

Army, what caused that to your tires??  Were you driving crazy on them.... or was that just the "normal wear and tear"???

well the rack and pinion and ball joints were out for along time, but that wouldnt cause a bubble, only inner wear. i dont drive like an idiot most of the time, btu ido cruise rather fast on the freeway when traffic permits.

Thombiz

You wanted to know what kind of tires I decided to get for my 1999 GS300. After reading thousands of reviews plus the (professional tests) I was getting goofy and still hadn't made up my mind.

At last I decided to buy the same OE's Turanzo Er 30 at costco. To my surprise they do not have them on their list. The next day I called another Costco to see if that was true and yes it was. I ask for a recomendation in a v rated tire, he asked what type of driver I was (average) and suggested I try all seasonal high performance V rated BF Goodrich TA something or Turanza LSV. He said he had a set of Turanza's that a guy ordered and hadn't come backed.

He said if I wanted them he would call the guy and see if he was interested, he wasn't so I went back on the Tire Rack to read the reviews on the Turanza's and found very positive reviews so I bought them. Total cost was $574.00 including road hazard. Tires alone were $121.00 each and are good for 50,000 miles. All future rotation and balancing is free at costco.

I only have about 20 miles on them but can feel the difference from the ER30 summer tires, they feel more like touring tires. They seem to be quiet but it's too early to really know if I will like them as I did the ER30's. At 3,000 I will post my feelings but for now I feel safe with a set of new tires.

To follow up on a previous post - the dealer put new tires on my car last week. They are 225/55 -16 Goodyear Eagle GT+4 "V" rated. My previous tires were standard 215/60 - 16, so these are a little lower profile. I believe these were optional on the GS300 and standard on the GS430. They seem like pretty good tires, they improved the handling, ride and noise, but all I have to compare them with on this car were the "S" tires it came with, so anything would seem nice LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
Thombiz

You wanted to know what kind of tires I decided to get for my 1999 GS300. After reading thousands of reviews plus the (professional tests) I was getting goofy and still hadn't made up my mind.

At last I decided to buy the same OE's Turanzo Er 30 at costco. To my surprise they do not have them on their list. The next day I called another Costco to see if that was true and yes it was. I ask for a recomendation in a v rated tire, he asked what type of driver I was (average) and suggested I try all seasonal high performance V rated BF Goodrich TA something or  Turanza LSV. He said he had a set of Turanza's that a guy ordered and hadn't come backed.

He said if I wanted them he would call the guy and see if he was interested, he wasn't so I went back on the Tire Rack to read the reviews on the Turanza's and found very positive reviews so I bought them. Total cost was $574.00 including road hazard. Tires alone were $121.00 each and are good for 50,000 miles. All future rotation and balancing is free at costco.

I only have about 20 miles on them but can feel the difference from the ER30 summer tires, they feel more like touring tires. They seem to be quiet but it's too early to really know if I will  like them as I did the ER30's. At 3,000 I will post my feelings but for now I feel safe with a set of new tires.

I would have stayed away from those tires personally due to reasons I mentioned earlier in this post. But if your happy with them great! Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Thombiz

At last I decided to buy the same OE's Turanzo Er 30 at costco. To my surprise they do not have them on their list. The next day I called another Costco to see if that was true and yes it was. I ask for a recomendation in a v rated tire, he asked what type of driver I was (average) and suggested I try all seasonal high performance V rated BF Goodrich TA something or  Turanza LSV. He said he had a set of Turanza's that a guy ordered and hadn't come backed.

I only have about 20 miles on them but can feel the difference from the ER30 summer tires, they feel more like touring tires. They seem to be quiet but it's too early to really know if I will  like them as I did the ER30's. At 3,000 I will post my feelings but for now I feel safe with a set of new tires.

I would have stayed away from those tires personally due to reasons I mentioned earlier in this post. But if your happy with them great! Good Luck! B)

I finally remembered to look at the tires that came on my 2001. It had 49K on it and was on it's 2nd set of times (spare was Bridgestone). It is a Yokohoma YK420 model, a M & S model sold by Discount Tire. Looked on their website, it is a H rated tire in the size I have 225R16 but comes in V rated in the low profile sizes. Says it supposed to have good wet traction and long tread life. I agree with the good wet traction, will find out about the tread life. They do ride quiet but that is such a subjective observation.

I finally remembered to look at the tires that came on my 2001. It had 49K on it and was on it's 2nd set of times (spare was Bridgestone). It is a Yokohoma YK420 model, a M & S model sold by Discount Tire. Looked on their website, it is a H rated tire in the size I have 225R16 but comes in V rated in the low profile sizes. Says it supposed to have good wet traction and long tread life. I agree with the good wet traction, will find out about the tread life. They do ride quiet but that is such a subjective observation.

I'm a bit confused lexu from your posting, what is the exact size tire you have on your GS? :unsure: & they are Yoko's YK420's? :unsure: B)

I'm a bit confused lexu from your posting, what is the exact size tire you have on your GS? :unsure: & they are Yoko's YK420's? :unsure: B)

Oops, that should have been 225/55R16 which is actually a V rated tire. Got a little mixed up when I looked up the tire sizes from Discount Tire. Just proves that old saying "a dull pencil is better than a sharp memory".