Selling A 2003 Gs430 $$$ing

I will be trading-in my wifes 2003 gs430 this week and was wondering how much $$$ i should be getting. My local dealer (in person for about 10 minutes) said they would only give me $20,500 for it! I spent $49,500 for in in 03. That means that in only 2 years i'm losing 29 thousand dollars in resale!! I can't believe it AT all..

This is what it has:

5-Speed Automatic (ECT-i) transmission

79,929 miles (about 90% highway i'm guesing)

Indigo ink pearl exterior (never waxed)

Auto-Climate Control

Power Steering

Power Windows

Power Door Locks

Telescoping Wheel

Wood/leather steering wheel (many ring marks, but not cracked or faded)

Cruise Control

AM/FM Stereo

Cassette

CD Auto-Changer

Mark Levinson Audio

Navigation System (perfect working condition)

Dual Front Air Bags

Gold package (emblems in front + rear)

F&R Side Air Bags

Floor mats

Anti-Lock Braking (new brakes last month)

Traction Control

Ivory Leather (good condition except for drivers seat that has many creases)

Dual Power Seats

Power Moon Roof

Rear Spoiler

Alloy Wheels (front right rim scraped and bent from curb damage a little)

Xenon HID headlamps (stock)

Few problems with engine or transmission

NOTHING ever broke on it

Only a few defects are: minor scratches here and there and a minor dent in the passenger side door and trunk. Needs new tires (never replaced :unsure: pretty bad shape). There is a chip in the windshield (about 1cm wide), and a crack in the front right headlight plastic cover. There is a deep scrape about 3x5 inches on the front right corner of the bumper (from bad re-paint job). My wife hit a deer last year :censored: so the front hood and bumper needed a little body work. They were repainted the same color by a local paint shop (No pealing yet). The rear license plate bulbs are not working for some reason :angry: .

The dealer said that a customer would rather buy a new gs than get a 2 year old one in this condition, that's why mine is so low in resale price. But what i can't understand is how a 2003 rx300 coach worth 39k in 03 is worth 29k now! in the same time the resale is that much difference. Is the dealer !Removed! with me or are they correct? Thank you.

I'm currently in the market for a GS but it must be a light color as it gets hot as hell here in south Texas. If I found a car similar to yours in white, with similar mileage and items needing fixing, I wouldn't be willing to pay more for it than your dealer offered. The big marks against it in my book are the mileage, creases in the seat, cracked headlight, body work, and tires. I could easily see it costing $4000 more to correct the dings, bobo's and needs. Then you'd have $24k in a car with 80,000 miles on it. It would be better to spend $30,000 and get a near perfect car with 40,000 miles on it. This is not a flame on your car, because it could very well last another 200,000 miles! This is just a perspective from a buyers point of view.

I think that price is quite fair as a trade in with that kind of miles (thats MOSTER miles for an 03) and the reported condition. That car can't be sold as CPO for instance because of its mileage and condition and that makes it worth less to them.

I don't think they're trying to screw you. Taking care of your car is very important in preserving its resale value, I'd hire a detailer this time and make sure any body work is done right. I'd say letting it degrade has cost you $4-5,000 here.

I just ran a KBB, thats a great deal, take it. The KBB reported value at that mileage and equipment and fair condition is $18,390. The condition you reported is extremely poor for a 2003, most people who drive cars this expensive keep them in pretty good shape.

Thats a good deal, I'd take it.

Come on man, its a $50,000 car you'd think you could have had someone wax it once or twice. You've obviously got the money. If it doesn't matter to you thats fine but you can't expect the dealer to jump all over it if its a pile. They don't want that thing, they can't do anything with it. It will probably need several thousands of dollars of work before it can go on the lot, they'll just sell it at auction. They may not even make anything on it after giving you $20.5k for it.

If you abuse your posessions they become worthless. I wish I had the money to beat the hell out of a $50,000 car and then complain about the resale...

I never really understood why car buyers are so afraid of a little body work. It's not like my wife hit head on with an 18-wheeler at 60 mph, she only managed to hit a 300lb deer at 30 mph :censored: !! Women drivers LOL

Overall the car is in good shape. I am a little worried about the tansmission and engine though. I can't say she's a good driver, she's pretty agressive with acceleration and high speeds. The only time i drive with her is on day trips. Sometimes she'll hit 95+ mph on the highway!! Not 1 accident though; i mean besides the deer. I am not sure if her long distance driving is worse for the car vs shorter time distances. It usually takes her over an hour to GET to work! and another hour to get back. Driving from Newport (south eastern RI) to western Mass is an !Removed!! It takes me the same because we work a few blocks away. The reason i'm so worried about my cars and their problems is because i spend 2 hours EACH day in them. That's longer than how much sleep i get LOL. when they break i get mad so i try to keep up with services, and make sure i'm getting the right one to begin with.

The car is not in good shape overall lol, its a peice of crap. ;) Buyers don't care about body work if its done right, nowadays bodywork can be done so that nobody will even notice. Its all about what is reasonable for the car's age, thats a lot of wear on a 2 year old Lexus even with 80k miles. Walk around the dealers pre owned lot, most of the cars are almost indistinguishable from new. There are so many great used Lexus out there off leases that have been properly maintained that yours is not marketable.

Do yourself a favor and spend a little less on this car if she's going to destroy it.

I understand it's in pretty bad shape for a 2 year old car. I just wanted to make sure the dealer wasn't jipping me or anything. Maybe i will just take it then. It's just sad that it lost soo much money over the years. Even if it was good as new it would stil be around 25k dolars.

You should have seen it the day we got it :) . It was so beautiful not a scratch or 3 miles on her. Al the toys i thought it would last forever; but not with the miles on it each year. The driving kills it. Now from a far it doesn't look that bad, just needs to be cleaned; all the road salt and dirt off it etc. I didn't even know wax really helped. I thought it was a gimic :blink: stupid me. You can't really tell there was body work on it; it's just a hunk of clay under paint. I'll clean it up and have the dents taken out and scratches and try to make it look better. I'm not that worried, but to tell you the truth i do feel bad for the person who gets this car next! Just goes to show you what you're really getting in a used car.

It's not like my wife ABUSES it, actually the dents and 5 out of the 7 visible scratches are from kids in our area, grocery, stores and weather etc. She treats good care of it besides the way she drives. And i'm not feeling that she's abusing my money; she makes more than i do. To tell you the truth i could put a 1970 stationwagon in the garage and she wouldn't even notice the difference. Her theory is if it starts, is comfortable, is quiet and smooth she likes it. She's never the one who has to drive it to the series of dealers and shops to get it fixed when it breakes, what does she care! That's my job! :censored: That's why she doesn't take as good a care of it as she could. I'm not going to lie to you, she is indeed spoiled!

Indeed lexus has been the most comfortable and enjoyable car i have ever owned. Can't say it's been the most reliable, but that's just from the way i drive it.

No, wax is certainly not a gimmick lol. Look at my car:

SynWax1.jpg

Same year as your wife's GS430, but only 40k miles. Thats still high miles for its age. If you maintain a car properly both mechanically and physically mileage isn't a problem, especially on a Lexus. These things are just getting started at 80k. Your car was abused, thats why it doesn't look like mine.

I don't do anything special, I don't bang into things I take care of dings and scratches as they happen and I wax it every Spring and fall and once in the middle of the summer. On a dark colored car (like mine and your indigo ink pearl) it needs to be washed weekly by someone that knows what they're doing (a detailer will charge you $30 or so to come out to your house and wash it for you) and detailed (polished out and given a nice coat of protectant) at least every 6 months and it will look like mine.

No, wax is certainly not a gimmick lol. Look at my car:

SynWax1.jpg

Same year as your wife's GS430, but only 40k miles. Thats still high miles for its age. If you maintain a car properly both mechanically and physically mileage isn't a problem, especially on a Lexus. These things are just getting started at 80k. Your car was abused, thats why it doesn't look like mine.

I don't do anything special, I don't bang into things I take care of dings and scratches as they happen and I wax it every Spring and fall and once in the middle of the summer. On a dark colored car (like mine and your indigo ink pearl) it needs to be washed weekly by someone that knows what they're doing (a detailer will charge you $30 or so to come out to your house and wash it for you) and detailed (polished out and given a nice coat of protectant) at least every 6 months and it will look like mine.

Your es is drffinetly beautiful. That color is amasing as well! It's the same as my daughters 04 es330, except hers is silver. I don't see her often at all so i don't know how well kept she has it. All i know is that it spends all of it's time driven by a 20 year old TEENAGER and is kept in a college parking lot. I don't realy want to know what it looks like, but i do know that she greatly appreciates it. And i'll tell you it's the only car she'll be driving from me, she's on her own after it dies.

But i think i do give you the wrong impression about the GS. I took her car to work today and put it in the car wash. Looks very nice and is drying outside in the parking lot (all the way on the end next to a 10 ft pile of snow) of my busines. No kids so it should be safe LOL. I'll take your suggestion and find a detailer to tough up the scrathces and small marks on it. you can't tell body work was done except for the scrape on the front bumper. I'm not what worried i'll just get it fixed.

I will be trading-in my wifes 2003 gs430 this week and was wondering how much $$$ i should be getting. My local dealer (in person for about 10 minutes) said they would only give me $20,500 for it! I spent $49,500 for in in 03. That means that in only 2 years i'm losing 29 thousand dollars in resale!! I can't believe it AT all..

This is what it has:

79,929 miles    (about 90% highway i'm guesing)

Auto-Climate Control

Power Steering

Power Windows

Power Door Locks

Telescoping Wheel

Cruise Control

AM/FM Stereo

Cassette

CD Auto-Changer

Mark Levinson Audio

Dual Front Air Bags

F&R Side Air Bags

Floor mats

Traction Control

Ivory Leather  (good condition except for drivers seat that has many creases)

Dual Power Seats

Power Moon Roof

Rear Spoiler

NOTHING ever broke on it

Only a few defects are: minor scratches here and there and a minor dent in the passenger side door and trunk. Needs new tires (never replaced  :unsure:  pretty bad shape). There is a chip in the windshield (about 1cm wide), and a crack in the front right headlight plastic cover. There is a deep scrape about 3x5 inches on the front right corner of the bumper (from bad re-paint job). My wife hit a deer last year  :censored:  so the front hood and bumper needed a little body work. They were repainted the same color by a local paint shop (No pealing yet). The rear license plate bulbs are not working for some reason :angry: .

The dealer said that a customer would rather buy a new gs than get a 2 year old one in this condition, that's why mine is so low in resale price. But what i can't understand is how a 2003 rx300 coach worth 39k in 03 is worth 29k now! in the same time the resale is that much difference. Is the dealer !Removed! with me or are they correct?  Thank you.

lexkid630 u live in ri right? Thats only a few minuts from me. Would you be interesed in seling your 2003 gs430 to me? I could give you a good price I dont care about the milege or the scratches if it is working I would like it. I only driv a few minuts a day the 2003 is the best year i like it. I have not been abl to find a blue GS$#) and you are the only guy I kno that Has one selling. Is it posible to sell it to me? Are the rimss bad can I put 22' on them just wondering I really like the gs430. I hav a rx300 to and I need a Gs430.

Sincerely,

Mark G.

This is what it has:

79,929 miles    (about 90% highway i'm guesing)

Auto-Climate Control

Power Steering

Power Windows

Power Door Locks

Telescoping Wheel

Cruise Control

AM/FM Stereo

Cassette

CD Auto-Changer

Mark Levinson Audio

Dual Front Air Bags

F&R Side Air Bags

Floor mats

Traction Control

Ivory Leather   (good condition except for drivers seat that has many creases)

Dual Power Seats

Power Moon Roof

Rear Spoiler

NOTHING ever broke on it

Only a few defects are: minor scratches here and there and a minor dent in the passenger side door and trunk. Needs new tires (never replaced   :unsure:  pretty bad shape). There is a chip in the windshield (about 1cm wide), and a crack in the front right headlight plastic cover. There is a deep scrape about 3x5 inches on the front right corner of the bumper (from bad re-paint job). My wife hit a deer last year  :censored:  so the front hood and bumper needed a little body work. They were repainted the same color by a local paint shop (No pealing yet). The rear license plate bulbs are not working for some reason :angry: .

The dealer said that a customer would rather buy a new gs than get a 2 year old one in this condition, that's why mine is so low in resale price. But what i can't understand is how a 2003 rx300 coach worth 39k in 03 is worth 29k now! in the same time the resale is that much difference. Is the dealer !Removed! with me or are they correct?  Thank you.

lexkid630 u live in ri right? Thats only a few minuts from me. Would you be interesed in seling your 2003 gs430 to me? I could give you a good price I dont care about the milege or the scratches if it is working I would like it. I only driv a few minuts a day the 2003 is the best year i like it. I have not been abl to find a blue GS$#) and you are the only guy I kno that Has one selling. Is it posible to sell it to me? Are the rimss bad can I put 22' on them just wondering I really like the gs430. I hav a rx300 to and I need a Gs430.

Sincerely,

Mark G.

I have not finally decided if i am selling it to a private party or to the dealer. if you want it this week or sooner i'll sell it to you for $25,000! I am not sure if i can get as much for it before i have it touched up. i will get back to you if i change my mind. I have never sold a car privately before and need more information to see if selling it to you is he best way to go for me. my gs430 has everything including navi, if that's what you're looking for. i will get back to you sometime. A will also have to talk to my wife first before i sell it. she will need to have some thing to get to work each day too! I think she's really attached to her gs!

Kid- The dealer won't adjust their value because the car was detailed. It will look better no question but their valuation system doesn't put much stock in it, especially after they've already appraised it. If he wants to buy it, definately do that vs trading it.

can I put 22' on them just wondering

I think 22s with the right offset, tire size, adn appropriate drop will work.

With that said, I would recommend 20s as the biggest to put on the GS body. Anything else is too big IMO.