Front Axel Boot

lovlex

I noticed today that the passenger's side axel boot has 2 rips in it. :cries: It seems to have just happened recently. My mechanic says it's best to put a new axel on instead of replacing the boot. He said that people usually come back after a boot replacement and get the axel put on because the axel did not hold out after replacing the boot, because of debris that had gotten in the boot and axel. Lexus wants $90.00 for a boot and almost $800.00 for an axel. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated and any cheaper places will be appreciated. I am trying to decide what to do before the axel goes bad. How soon should this be fixed, with driving it in the rain and all?

I noticed today that the passenger's side axel boot has 2 rips in it.:cries:  It seems to have just happened recently. My mechanic says it's best to put a new axel on instead of replacing the boot. He said that people usually come back after a boot replacement and get the axel put on because the axel did not hold out after replacing the boot, because of debris that had gotten in the boot and axel. Lexus wants $90.00 for a boot and almost $800.00 for an axel. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated and any cheaper places will be appreciated. I am trying to decide what to do before the axel goes bad. How soon should this be fixed, with driving it in the rain and all?

On an LS? it has boots? if this is on the rear(and it has to be), and the LS does have Independant Rear Suspension (wasnt aware that it did), then the only thing i can tell you is go somewhere like autozone. the fact that its aftermarket (IN THIS CASE) will have little to do with reliability. your mechanic is right though, in my experience, people who Re-pack CV joints, ususally dont have a great sucess rate.

im looking up prices right now.

if you must have OEM, cause you like to waste money (j/k) ;) , then go here:

Discount Toyota Parts, Austin TX

they are the cheapest OEM option AFAIK.

i am checking prices at autozone right now for you.

EDIT: Prices are:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker/?...E%29&PageSync=3

Lifetime warranty, remaned Axle, left side, $99.99 with a core value of $45.

sas i said, in this case, remaned is the best way to go. it should last just as long. and if it doesnt, you cna replace it 3-4 times and still not have paid as much for ONE axle from lexus.

Autozone only carries remaned in this case. good luck.

I'm assuming you talking about rear axles. It's true that dirt, debris & road grime can get in there & damage the axles if the boot have been ripped for a while. I had just the boots only replaced on my 90 LS. However I had the technician thoroughly clean the axles in a parts washer to remove anything that may have gotten inside. I had it done at 85k & later sold the car tro a friend who is still driving it with over 135k & same rear axles. Otherwise if the axles need replacement are the any parts shops that sell reman axles??

i just called Iron Toad. he says the car does not have front axel boots. he said it's the steering boot that i am looking at. i called toyota and lexus and they both gave me prices on front axel boots and axels. :wacko: my mechanic looked up the labor cost for replacing the axel for the front and it was in the price book :(

i just called Iron Toad. he says the car does not have front axel boots. he said it's the steering boot that i am looking at. i called toyota and lexus and they both gave me prices on front axel boots and axels.:wacko:  my mechanic looked up the labor cost for replacing the axel for the front and it was in the price book :(

LoveLext, this would be the Rack and Pinion...and THAT is expensive...

let me check...

the boot itself is $12. however it will tkae 8-10 hrs of labor to gt to it, remove the boot and put the new one on, and then reinstall.

a new rack (qhich will have to be done eventualkly, might as well do it now) will be...about $900. you have to buy it piece by pice at Discount toyota aprts.

iron toad is the smae way, have to buy piece by piece in this case.

Autozone.com has it for:

$469.99 witha $165 core value.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?U...RACK+%26+PINION

labor for Removal and install on a LS400 is about 2.5 hrs.

i see that advance has a few to choose from also.

http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.as...%20%26%20Pinion

the cheapest, i guess must not come with everything? how soon do i need to get this fixed?

they have a picture to look at on the cheapest one and this is what i am in need of.

thanks

i wouldnt worry about fixing it until one of the following happens:

you either:

A) start leaking power steering fluid from it

or

B) Feel looseness or play in the steering.

i would get it through autozone, not advance. just personal prefernece relaly.

i guess i need to get it fixed now then  :cries:  they are big rips in 2 of the boot's creases and you can put your fingers in them and they are on the bottom of the boot  :)

upon looking at the components fo the rack i have found that if you remvoe the tie rod end, the new boot may slide right over...not a bad job...

That's right, no need to drop the whole rack. Disconnect the outer tie rod end and you'll be able to put the boot on that way. Shouldn't be more than 45 mins a side - tops.

Bob

FOrgive my ignorance LOL. i was completely wrong. See in the world of the GEN I ES (mine) and most other cars, the rack has to be removed to do this repair as there is just NO ROOM to do it any other way. My fault guys. :D

thanks guys for all the help. i am taking in to the dealer next week to put a new rack on. the service tech told me to only worry about the boot if it starts leaking fluid and it is. when you rub your finger in the hole on the boot, it's a lot of wet fluid in there and the boot is covered with fluid on the bottom of it. after he told me how the rack flows fluid, i was told that the seal is bad on the end of the tie rod by the boot and that is why it has fluid in it. hopefully, he is telling me the truth????????? :(

thanks

thanks guys for all the help. i am taking in to the dealer next week to put a new rack on. the service tech told me to only worry about the boot if it starts leaking fluid and it is. when you rub your finger in the hole on the boot, it's a lot of wet fluid in there and the boot is covered with fluid on the bottom of it. after he told me how the rack flows fluid, i was told that the seal is bad on the end of the tie rod by the boot and that is why it has fluid in it. hopefully, he is telling me the truth????????? :(

thanks

I have found with dealers, that if they arent trying to rip you off on the price, then you probably have had the truth given to you...how mcuh are they charging labor for thsi repair?

$800.00 at the dealer incl. labor doesn't sound that bad. I paid $314 for a rebuilt rack from a place near me for my 1991 LS400 and then spent the following 8 hours cursing everything from Japan as a whole down to the specific plyability of the grommets they use to brace the rack. If I wasn't such a DIY junkie, I might have even thought about paying $800 to get the rack replace. Cripes - an alignment shop near me wanted over $1k for 2 ball joints and a control arm replacement.

I say go for it. Anyone else think this is a decent price?

I replaced my own rack on my 91LS just under a year ago as part of a full front end suspension change out. I used an O'Reilly's lifetime guaranteed replacement. Now that I've done it once, I think I could do it again in less than two hours. You may not have to do this, but I would recommend jacking the engine up off of the mounts (removing each engine mount bolt from the underside first <grin>, and then having at it. It just isn't that complicated of a job. The rack itself was somewhere around $329 if I remember right.

Good luck!