Sticking Horn

jakeroux

I'm having a rather embaressing problem with my 99 LX - the horn seems to have a hair trigger so that the slightest brush of the steering wheel center cover, or even heavy pressure on the wheel itself will set if off. Has anyone had a similar experience, or could someone walk me through the removel of the column cover and locating the horn relays so I could try to somehow "de-sensitize" them?

Thanks.

Your problem is with the steering wheel switch being to sensative not the relays as you said it yourself.

You can try and open up the contacts inside the wheel behind the airbag.

You only need a good set of tools .

Remove the 4 bolts ,2 on each side of the airbag once you pop off the plastic covers to acess them. They are located to the left and right of the wheel behind them.

that is it as the switches are right their as part of the float assembly holding the airbag.

I think it is 4 hex screws

Your problem is with the steering wheel switch being to sensative not the relays as you said it yourself.

Remove the 4 bolts ,2 on each side of the airbag once you pop off the plastic covers to acess them. They are located to the left and right of the wheel behind them.

that is it as the switches are right their as part of the float assembly holding the airbag.

-----------

Ok - thanks for the assistance. Is there any chance of accidentally deploying the airbag or activitating a warning light (that would heave to be reset by dealer) by removing the bolts to get to the switches? I assume the airbag is left in palce and would not need to be removed, just work around it - correct? Thanks again.

battery needs to be disconeccted for 10 seconds or a minute until you are finished

Thanks again. In the interest of wrapping this topic up for anyone who may have a similar problem in the future...

Since I was getting the first oil change (and general inspection) on it since I bought it a month ago, I just had the local mechanic (non-dealer) take a look at it when he changed the oil. He took the cover off, but said the airbag, column cover and horn contacts are all integrated into one unit, and the contacts could not be adjusted without replacing the entire unit (app $700 from Lexus). Needless to say, I didn't go that route; rather, just disconnected the wires from the horns under the hood so I won't be setting them off every time I turn, and will just hope I don't need them any time soon. Not the best solution, but better than going around honking all the time. He also said he has seen similar problems on other makes, and it usally is the result of someone over aggressively laying on or pounding the horn. Perhaps the previous owner had a bit of temper.