Gsm Cell Phones

denslexusgx470

I have a question about GSM frequencies. Let's say that abroad, there is a company (like Cingular, T-Mobile) that has GSM 900/1800 and my phone is frequencies 850/1800/1900, does that mean i need to have both 900 and 1800 to work in that country or is one frequency good enough???

here's the link to the different cell companies in the Philippines, which I want to know. I use SMART over there.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ph.shtml

No, it just means the phone will only work on the 1800 frequency and may not have as full coverage as it would if it could move back and forth.

steve is right. tri and quad band phones are a way to make your coverage more broad overseas.

Instead of having only 1 band to choose from, your phone has 2 sets, or pairs, of bands. you can select the bands individually on a motorola.

850MHz

900MHz

1800MHz

1900MHz

AFAIK, Cingular is still mostly tri band. AT&T is all quad band in their GSM line (which last i checked was all of their phones i think)

GSM is still improving and it will get better as the years go by.

Basically the way it works, your phone instantaneously chooses between bands. if you try to make a call, it will choose the one with the best reception (in the case of a motorola phone , you can choose to select the band yourself for the best area you have.)

the bands are paired in the following order:

850/1900

900/1800

(i think)

meaning in automatic mode, you can never use just one band unless the other is not available. The phone uses 2 to give you optimum performance. it can also mix and match. so if the 2 strongest signals come from 850/1800, it can pair those 2 together.

if you have a motorola GSM phone go here:

Menu---->Network----->

where is says "band" highlight the word "automatic" and then push the upper right hand key marked "Change" on the menu. your choices should come up.

No, it just means the phone will only work on the 1800 frequency and may not have as full coverage as it would if it could move back and forth.

steve is right. tri and quad band phones are a way to make your coverage more broad overseas.

Instead of having only 1 band to choose from, your phone has 2 sets, or pairs, of bands. you can select the bands individually on a motorola.

850MHz

900MHz

1800MHz

1900MHz

AFAIK, Cingular is still mostly tri band. AT&T is all quad band in their GSM line (which last i checked was all of their phones i think)

GSM is still improving and it will get better as the years go by.

Basically the way it works, your phone instantaneously chooses between bands. if you try to make a call, it will choose the one with the best reception (in the case of a motorola phone , you can choose to select the band yourself for the best area you have.)

the bands are paired in the following order:

850/1900

900/1800

(i think)

meaning in automatic mode, you can never use just one band unless the other is not available. The phone uses 2 to give you optimum performance. it can also mix and match. so if the 2 strongest signals come from 850/1800, it can pair those 2 together.

if you have a motorola GSM phone go here:

Menu---->Network----->

where is says "band" highlight the word "automatic" and then push the upper right hand key marked "Change" on the menu. your choices should come up.

that's my debate within myself whether to get the Motorola V551 or the Lg L1400 (it looks high-tech lol)

and now since i'm getting a new phone, i want to make it work in my country when i visit!!! <_< :D

• 4 weeks later...

Den, don't get the LG. I have a LG, and it sucks. It's cheaply built and not very resiliant when it flies out of your hands. I'll be getting either the V551 or V600 in the comming months when I switch to Cingular from VZW(don't even get me started with them :censored: ). Plus, if you ever have a problemo, I'm sure Army would make sure it's fixed properly.

Den, don't get the LG. I have a LG, and it sucks. It's cheaply built and not very resiliant when it flies out of your hands. I'll be getting either the V551 or V600 in the comming months when I switch to Cingular from VZW(don't even get me started with them :censored: ). Plus, if you ever have a problemo, I'm sure Army would make sure it's fixed properly.

i most certianly would :)

really?? strange because the previous phone before the new one i have was an LG TP5250 (the most high-tech phone back then) and it lasted me 3 years with about 10-15 cement/asphalt drops.