New Tire Size

I would like to ask fellow 2nd gen gs owners whether anyone has tried the tire size 245/50/16 on factory wheels? How's the handling?

Some of the tire sites use 7.5 inch width rims for specs and others use 8 inch width rims for specs.

I do not mind going to a lower profile with out effecting the over all handling and balance of the car. Will the 245's fit in the wheel well without mods. With the 245's the width will increase by 2 cm (one inch) and the overall diameter increases by 1.5 cm (half an inch). Will this size work?

The reason I am asking is that pirelli has the p-zero nero m/s tire that i like but it does not come in a 225/55/16 size. The closes size is 245/50/16.

Thank you in advance for your comment. Looking forward to all your comments.

Although it has been done, I think 245s are too wide for the OEM 16s. 235 would be the widest I'd personally do on 16x7.5 rims. (BTW - The 8" width you see probably refers to the OEM 17x8 rims.)

As for your comment on the size change, if the width is changing 2cm, I assume you are currently running 225/55s. If so, the change in overall diameter is really only 1.5mm and not 1.5cm. This change is almost negligible.

Other than the caution of running 245s, the setup should fit the wheelwell fine while probably increasing some noise and handling since you have an increased contact patch.

• 1 month later...
I would like to ask fellow 2nd gen gs owners whether anyone has tried the tire size 245/50/16 on factory wheels?  How's the handling?

Some of the tire sites use 7.5 inch width rims for specs and others use 8 inch width rims for specs.

I do not mind going to a lower profile with out effecting the over all handling and balance of the car.  Will the 245's fit in the wheel well without mods.  With the 245's the width will increase by 2 cm (one inch) and the overall diameter increases by 1.5 cm (half an inch).  Will this size work?

The reason I am asking is that pirelli has the p-zero nero m/s tire that i like but it does not come in a 225/55/16 size.  The closes size is 245/50/16.

Thank you in advance for your comment.  Looking forward to all your comments.

tire rack has the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S in 225/55WR16

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

I would like to ask fellow 2nd gen gs owners whether anyone has tried the tire size 245/50/16 on factory wheels?  How's the handling?

I do not mind going to a lower profile with out effecting the over all handling and balance of the car.  Will the 245's fit in the wheel well without mods.  With the 245's the width will increase by 2 cm (one inch) and the overall diameter increases by 1.5 cm (half an inch).  Will this size work?

The reason I am asking is that pirelli has the p-zero nero m/s tire that i like but it does not come in a 225/55/16 size.  The closes size is 245/50/16.

What are you looking for in a tire specifically? :unsure: There are lot's of excellent choices in the 225 55 16 size. B)

Falken Ziex ZE-512 in a V speed rating no less! Awesome high performance all season.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

Consider the Avon Tech M550 A/S.....it's got some excellent reviews on tirerack & check out that price! B)

Yokohama Avid V4S is also a very good choice.

Toyo Proxes 4

All should be much less expensive than the Pirelli & perform as well or in some cases better than the P-Zero nero m/s.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

It looks like this thread is dead but I was wondering what the original poster ever did about this. I found the 245/50/16 and it looked like a great option to put on stock wheels. I was looking to put the 245/50/16s on the rear and stick with 225/55/16 on the front. It would give a cool look to have slightly wider tires in the rear and probably wouldn't hurt handling. The tires I was looking at are Michelin Pilot A/S and they list the overall diameter and revolutions per mile for those two sizes to be identical which seems great, I didn't want the speedo to be off or the front to be taller than the rear.

Ok, but the shop I wanted to install the tires says they won't put those on my stock rims, not because of the rim size but because their "book" doesn't list it as a valid size for that car. I'll leave the shop unnamed but it is big nationwide wearhouse type store and I guess they are worried about liability. I can still buy the tires from them but they just won't install them. I figure I can easily find somebody to install them.

What does anyone think about this? Yea, I know, putting the wider tires on the rear really won't buy much performance, but it's something I think would be cool so what's the big deal? Does anyone think that there is a "real" safety or other concern that I should worry about? The way I read the specs, virtually all 245/50/16 tires can be installed on 7.5" rims. It seems from reading a bunch of other stuff that there shouldn't be any problem fitting 245/16 into the rear wheelwells on a '98 GS3.

It'd be great if the original poster or anyone else wanted to email me on this. I think my email is visible to the board, not sure because I'm new. I tried to email the original poster but it didn't seem to let me do that so I thought I'd post instead

Thanks.

tire rack has the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S in 225/55WR16

Falken Ziex ZE-512 in a V speed rating no less! Awesome high performance all season.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

LexusFreak - do you have any affiliiation with this brand of tire? You recommend them quite often.

I will be replacing my Goodyears soon. Still have tread but they are loud as :censored: and they grab every pavement mismatch and want to turn the car.

I don't mind saving money, just double checking if these should be my next tire.

Thanks for the information.