Air Conditioning Control Button Lights

Pat Jones

Hi;

Just bought a used 2002 ES300 and noticed that of the 4 buttons directly beneath the display, only the A/C button and the "dual" button are illuminated. Should the other 2 (fan speed and Mode) also light up when the dash board lights are on ?

Thanks;

Pat

light up how?

the AC and Dual buttons each have a small rectangular LED that light up green when they are pressed.

or do you mean light up in that you can see what the button is. ie, the individual letters of AC and Dual are lit up so you can see what button is what in the dark?

steviej

light up how?

the AC and Dual buttons each have a small rectangular LED that light up green when they are pressed.

or do you mean light up in that you can see what the button is.  ie, the individual letters of AC and Dual are lit up so you can see what button is what in the dark?

steviej

Just as the letters in the AC and Mode buttons light up, I'm wondering if the letters on A/C and Dual buttons are supposed to light up when the dashboard lights are on.

Thanks

Pat

i had this problem if this is what you're describing: driving at night some of the A/C or radio buttons light up while others don't. the letters on each button should light up (in the 95ES) white to denote which buttons are for whatever function so you don't go fumbling for buttons or having to turn on the dome/map light to see them. if so, then sounds like your bulbs are faulty which is very common on the ES A/C and radio units. try the whacking method before changing out the bulbs.

As khhoang mentioned, the center console bulb failure is a common problem, esp. for older and/or high mileage ES. It happened to my '01 ES about a year ago, and I was able to fix it myself by removing the A/C unit, accessing the circuit board, and replacing the bad bulbs with new ones (ordered from the dealership parts counter, only about $2-$3 per bulb). Unless the unit is absolutely nonfunctional, it is not necessary to buy a new unit for replacement.

I meant to look at this on the way home when it was dark out.

I forgot :whistles:

I will go out now.....hold on.

OK, all four switches are lit up; the words, the <> and fan symbol light up.

| AUTO || < fan symbol > || < MODE > || DUAL |

The AUTO and DUAL buttons have a small green light that illuminates when pressed.

hope this helps.

steviej

I meant to look at this on the way home when it was dark out. 

I forgot  :whistles:

I will go out now.....hold on.

OK,  all four switches are lit up;  the words, the <> and fan symbol light up.

|  AUTO  ||  <  fan symbol  >  ||  <  MODE  >  ||  DUAL  |

The AUTO and DUAL buttons have a small green light that illuminates when pressed.

hope this helps.

steviej