My First Lexus

jmc86660

Hey guys.

I'm currently in the process of trying to buy my first Lexus. I have around $8,000 to spend on the Lexus itself and about $1,000 to customize it. I realize this severely limits the type of Lexus I can buy, however I am really happy with my options. I currently have a 1994 BMW 540i that I love and would not mind having a Lexus around the same year. My question to you guys is, what type of Lexus should I shoot for? I really want a Lexus that has chrome rims, but since I am looking to trade I can't buy from a private dealer, and it is really difficult to find a dealer with a car already with nice wheels. I think rims really set off a Lexus, the problem is I am not even sure I can afford the addition myself. Can nice, chrome wheels be obtained for around $600? Ebay seems to have some nice options. Also, I want to put in a dvd player, since I travel a lot and my gf is constantly bored. Do you guys know any good deals? I can't afford to put that much in to it. My knowledge of the vehicle is limited, so I am looking for you guys for buying recommendations, especially rims and video, even car. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Instead of fixating on rims and DVD players, if you purchase an $8,000 Lexus you're going to need to put your "customization money" aside for maintenance and repairs. These vehicles can be quite costly to maintain, particularly if you can't perform the work yourself.

They are, but no moreso than the BMW he has now. Actually significantly less so, BMWs are VERY maintenance intensive.

Be sure to get whatever you choose looked at by a dealership, a DEALERSHIP to make sure its A-okay. They can print out the service history for you while you're there.

With $8k I'd look at either a 95+ LS400 or '97+ ES300. I'd only go with OEM chrome rims. Also, I think $600 could get a nice set on Ebay. I'd have to agree with the others that that $1k would be better saved for the suspension/oil leaks/o2's/etc. problems you'll likely face on an older Lexus. Best of Luck! ;)

:cheers:

Agreed with what the others have said. What size vehicle and qualities are looking for though? If you want something bigger than your 540i and with a nice smooth ride then a LS400 like what Blake mentioned is for you. I'd look into the GS300 too if you want something that has a nice ride, but with "sportier" handling. At the same time the GS' engine has great modification potential (if you're into that). If you are interested in a ES300 there is a FAQ in the ES subforum which will answer any questions about it. Good luck with your search.

Hey guys.

I'm currently in the process of trying to buy my first Lexus.  I have around $8,000 to spend on the Lexus itself and about $1,000 to customize it.  I realize this severely limits the type of Lexus I can buy, however I am really happy with my options.  I currently have a 1994 BMW 540i that I love and would not mind having a Lexus around the same year.  My question to you guys is, what type of Lexus should I shoot for?  I really want a Lexus that has chrome rims, but since I am looking to trade I can't buy from a private dealer, and it is really difficult to find a dealer with a car already with nice wheels.  I think rims really set off a Lexus, the problem is I am not even sure I can afford the addition myself.  Can nice, chrome wheels be obtained for around $600?  Ebay seems to have some nice options.  Also, I want to put in a dvd player, since I travel a lot and my gf is constantly bored.  Do you guys know any good deals?  I can't afford to put that much in to it.  My knowledge of the vehicle is limited, so I am looking for you guys for buying recommendations, especially rims and video, even car.  Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Thanks for the responses guys. Buying from a private seller is a bad idea? I need a place where I can trade my car in. Trust me, I know about expensive to maintain. My 540i has 315,000 miles on it. I can't put it in the shop for less than $300. How much does a Lexus generally cost to work on?

Hey guys.

I'm currently in the process of trying to buy my first Lexus.  I have around $8,000 to spend on the Lexus itself and about $1,000 to customize it.  I realize this severely limits the type of Lexus I can buy, however I am really happy with my options.  I currently have a 1994 BMW 540i that I love and would not mind having a Lexus around the same year.  My question to you guys is, what type of Lexus should I shoot for?  I really want a Lexus that has chrome rims, but since I am looking to trade I can't buy from a private dealer, and it is really difficult to find a dealer with a car already with nice wheels.  I think rims really set off a Lexus, the problem is I am not even sure I can afford the addition myself.  Can nice, chrome wheels be obtained for around $600?  Ebay seems to have some nice options.  Also, I want to put in a dvd player, since I travel a lot and my gf is constantly bored.  Do you guys know any good deals?  I can't afford to put that much in to it.  My knowledge of the vehicle is limited, so I am looking for you guys for buying recommendations, especially rims and video, even car.  Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

You can expect atleast $95(around here they get $110) per hour for dealer service. The indie shop(JP Importz) that I go to charges about $85 per hour(he works really fast though, so it ends up being cheaper than the dealer.). Parts are very expensive(there are a few online OEM dealers that help lessen this a little.), I'm sure it's nothing you are not used to with the Bimmer though. ;) 315k is quite impressive! B) My '95 LS only has 249,4xx miles(runs/drives better than new!); I'm expecting her to go a long way before any major mechanical problems! :D

:cheers:

To give you a rough idea of how much maintenance cost with a Lexus. A 30k service with my dealership costs around $500. The 60k service costs close a $1000. If you don't want to spend a premium, I would consider going to either a trustworthy independent shop or a Toyota dealership (some of them won't touch a Lexus) to get work on your Lexus.