How Do I Get A Master Key?

eturner

We just bought a '94 LS400 that came with only one key--the one with the remote entry. The previous owner cannot find the other keys. So I called the local dealership and the parts guy suggested that I get only a master key (there are only two drivers in our family), which the dealer will have to cut and it costs $51. He said that any additional remotes will cancel out the remote that I currently have, and remotes are $250.

We just bought a '94 LS400 that came with only one key--the one with the remote entry.  The previous owner cannot find the other keys.  So I called the local dealership and the parts guy suggested that I get only a master key (there are only two drivers in our family), which the dealer will have to cut and it costs $51.  He said that any additional remotes will cancel out the remote that I currently have, and remotes are $250.

Mason,

Thanks for the reply. I guess then I can call a local parts dept at a lexus store and they can get me a key.

You're not going to like this.

You can't get another master key if you currently do not have one. The way the Lexus system is designed you need ONE master key to program other master keys. Since you only have a valet key you need to replace the engine ECU to program new master keys, a $1500 job.

Now, some say Lexus will pay to do this ONE time in a vehicles life, may want to look into that, otherwise I dont know what to tell you.

I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction. Discovered that Lexus has an Immobilizer Replacement Program. They replace the ECU unit for free. All I am accountable for is the purchase of the new key and labor of installing the ECU ~ totaling $150. Not bad considering the ECU unit retails for over $1k.

Key Note:

* Your car does NOT have to be under warranty.

* They will provide only one ECU replacement per vehicle. (They Ask for VIN)

* You may take your car to any Lexus Dealer.

If any of you are interested contact Lexus Corporate: 800 255 3987, Customer Satisfaction.

FYI- Be courteous and polite with the Lexus representative.

Thats assuming no keys have ever been replaced on his vehicle, which is likely. Definately call.

Also I don't know how you got new keys and the labor to install the ECU for $150. One remote master key from the dealership costs $300 and the labor rate for a Lexus dealer is between $90-$100 an hour.

Make sure you buy at LEAST two keys. If you don't and you loose your only master key, then you're back in the same boat. You can get the keys cheaper (about $150) from www.lexus-parts.com

Tom Wood Lexus, located in northern indianapolis, surprisingly charges a total of $60 for a master key and the labor to program the key. I completely understand your logic b/c a Lexus dealership in PA wanted to charge me $100 just for just the key, $36 for programming and $6 for shipping.

Tom Wood:

$60 Master Key

$0 Programming

$0 Shipping

$90 for ECU install

Total = $150

You can purchase the key and have it cut from another long distance source or dealer. I believe you need to bring your car to the dealer for programming. They need proof of ownership and some other documentation. In order for them to program the key the car has to be present.

You can purchase the key and have it cut from another long distance source or dealer.  I believe you need to bring your car to the dealer for programming.  They need proof of ownership and some other documentation.  In order for them to program the key the car has to be present.

Melhadri-

Thanks for the info. I called Lexus Customer Satisfaction and they verified your information. My Lexus qualifies for a new unit-so I am scheduling an appointment to have it done.

Thank you so much!

And thank this forum for helping me find people with answers!

• 1 month later...
We just bought a '94 LS400 that came with only one key--the one with the remote entry.  The previous owner cannot find the other keys.  So I called the local dealership and the parts guy suggested that I get only a master key (there are only two drivers in our family), which the dealer will have to cut and it costs $51.  He said that any additional remotes will cancel out the remote that I currently have, and remotes are $250.

I have a 1994 Lexus ES300 and 2 Lexus Dealers tried to sell me ECU,s. But I researched and found what you said to be true. I bought a new master key because I only had the valet key. It came with a chip you swap out in the door lock control (I thinks its part of the alarm system). And once you swap the chip any other master key you have will no longer have remote entry but will start the car. I was told for the year of my car there is no programmable key you get a new key and a chip to make it work. I did it myself it myself cost 260 and was pretty easy to do. But with never models I believe the keys are programable but as mentioned you have to have an original master key to program the new one. That price of 260 was for 1 master key and mine only had 1 button for door locks and the alarm. Wish I had the remote for the trunk release but that was like another 150.

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a 96 LS400 w/ 2 square lexus keys (no buttons on the keys themselves) and 2 of the keyless entry units (lock, unlock & trunk). All work fine, but I was wondering, are these the "masters"? Also, can I get a key with the buttons on it? Also, if these are not the "masters", can I get a valet key made as well as the temporary key?

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

I just purchased a 1998 LS 400 and I love it.

The only key that came with the car is the grey (sub key).

How can I get a another key made?

Can I get a master key with keyless entry?

Thanks for anyone's help!

I came across the same problem - bought a 99LS with just a SUB key, no master key. Then I bought a blank key with buttons on the head casing(3 buttons) on Ebay for $89 and had it cut by a locksmith who does sidewinder keys $65 ( he was reluctant to cut my blank key, wanted to sell me his own blank,but did it when I said he won`t be responsible if he messes up my blank key).Then I went to a dealer to get the new key programmed and ONLY THEN I found out that in order th program a master key, they have to get me a new ECU $1300, but said they will order the part for me for FREE!!! and I will have to pay just the labor. Later, when thr part came in, I paid $172 for installation of the new ECU and new key programming. That was GREAT!!!Thank you, LEXUS!!!