Obd Ii / Proprietary Software Decoded?

branshew

I recently purchased my wife a VW Passat wagon to replace her SUV that I rolled/totaled prior to Christmas. (It's actually a great car and fun to drive - even w/ the 4 cyl turbo). While doing some homework prior to purchase I found out that a VW/Audi technician (with alot of computer programming experience) was able to decode the OBD II and Proprietary VW/Audi diagnostic and maintenance codes via an interface that he made that links between a car and the diagnostic machine. He has created his own software program know as VAG-COM.

There is a free shareware version of VAG-COM as well as a more robust "paid" version ($99) and all you need is a standard OBD II connector for VW/Audi and a PC to run it. From this interface users are able to perform the usual diagnostic work from OBD II as well as read Audi/VW (also Seat & Skoda if you live in europe) proprietary codes/information that you can't get from OBD II. You can also change some settings for the electronics, engine and transmission. For example you can put the tiptronic tranny in "sport" mode and change the shifting pattern, you can turn on and off the 10 MPH auto locking door feature, advance or !Removed! engine timing, program the car to recognize a new transponder key, etc...

I would imagine that if someone had done this for Toyota and/or Lexus we would have known about it by now, but does anyone know if something like this is available? I realize that anyone can get an OBD II, but I was interested in more of the proprietary things.

That is basically wat SuperChip did when it produced the Supertuner hand held programer. It is available for many domestic cars and trucks but SuperChip (nor anyone else that I am aware of) has jumped into the import market with tuners or chips for the Toyota/Lexus cars.