Swapping Needles On Cluster - Is It Possible?

branshew

I have one burned out needle on my fuel gauge and another that is on the fritz. I found a replacement cluster in a local junkyard of of a '94 for $80 (which seemed to be a good deal since other yards I called were quoting $250 and eBay usually goes for $175 +/- depending on mileage). Everything seems to work when I plug it in, but the ODO is at 180K miles and my ODO is much less.

Needless to say I don't want to do a direct swap, but I was wondering if I could just swap the needles? Has anyone tried this? How easy/difficult was it? I guess if it's a huge PITA I could swap the clusters temporarily and send my original to LexTech.

Any thoughts?

i have a 93 ES300 with a burnt out needle for the speedometer. The tachometer was still working fine. I pulled it out and swapped out the two needles. Not sure if the speed and RPM is totally accurate but its close enough.

To pull out the needles, grab it with index finger and thumb surrounding the point it goes into the gauge. It pulled out pretty easily and went back in just as easy.

Hope this helps.