Unstable Lx450

kpoon

i was in an accident last year, & the body shop replaced my steering stabilizer as one of the repairs. since then i've noticed that the steering wheel tends to "jerk" slightly to one side or the other whenever i hit minor bumps in the road. this is especially noticeable at highway speeds, even when i hit something as small as a lane reflector. the "jerking" of the steering wheel is not so bad as to actually make me change direction, but it's enough to make the vehicle feel pretty unstable. i feel like i could lose control at any minute, & i don't have confidence in the vehicle's handling.

could these problems indicate that there's something wrong with the steering stabilizer, or does it sound like it could be something else?

thanks!

Well I'm by no means an expert with the steering system, but under troubleshooting, the FSM indicates 4 areas to check for pour return in this order: 1) Tires (improperly inflated), 2) Front wheel alignment, 3) steering column (binding), and 4) Power steering gear.

It sounds to the point of being dangerous. I might have it looked at by a pro.

What's the steering wheel freeplay like. Manual indicates 40mm as the maximum before adjustment, but there should be some freeplay.

:beer:

Rookie