Transmission Cooler

lexdog

After reading through the forum I've read several segments about transmission failures on AWD RX300's. I came across a transmission cooler. It looks like a small radiator and has its own liquid reservoir. Has anybody tried one of these?

? Does anybody think this product would help prevent a transmission failure?

Here’s a pic of it on performanceproducts.com

http://www.performanceproducts.com/Product...&producttype=10

get an inline external tranny filter

the car already comes with an adequate cooler/heater

Whats a inline external tranny filter ?

I guess the real question im trying to find out is. What can I do to help prevent transmissions issue on a 2001 AWD RX300 ?

an external tranny filter looks like a regular fuel filter but is made for tranny fluid.

It basically works by cutting the return line from the oem tranny cooler and placing this one in between the cut hose.

It will filter out the debris that the oem one has no chance of catching.

Costs about $50 and takes about 10 minutes to install

No Toyota or Lexus tranny has ever needed an auxillary filter and installing one could interfere with proper fluid flow. Not even the ones used for trailering and motorhome duty.

I'd just change the fluid more often if I owned an AWD RX300.

No Toyota or Lexus tranny has ever needed an auxillary filter and installing one could interfere with proper fluid flow.  Not even the ones used for trailering and motorhome duty.

I'd just change the fluid more often if I owned an AWD RX300.

But then again you are not meant to ever change the fluid so you would be doing something that is not needed.

But then again you are not meant to ever change the fluid so you would be doing something that is not needed.

Here we go again... Since I do not know you, I cannot tell if you are joking about not needing to change the oil. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are...

Take it from those of us who've experienced transmission failure within our own RX300 AWD models - at a minimum you should be changing your Toyota Type T-IV fluid every 30,000 miles. This is probably your best bet towards delaying transmission failure down the road although there are never any guarantees.

It is unfortunate (and inexcusable) that the RX300 AWD transmission design forces owners to have to play defense with what should be a much better-engineered vehicle due to the price tag it carries, but that's just the reality of the situation. I strongly wish that I had discovered this website prior to acquiring my wife's vehicle rather than about a month afterwards. Had I done so, we never would have purchased an RX, period.

Change your fluid, don't stress your transmission anymore than your normal driving has to, and become aware of what "normal operation" is for your particular vehicle in various temperature ranges. Pay attention to any degredation in transmission behavior and deal with any problems as soon as you become aware of them. Being a careful and cautious driver with extremely limited jackrabbit starts and stops should help considerably. That's true of basically any vehicle, and much more so with the RX series. Best of luck to all of you RX owners out there.

VGR i guess that is why i am still driving my ES which had a slipping tranny after multiple fluid flushes not drains .

I added the filter, it cleaned the fluid of the debris the mesh could not catch.

So all in all who do you think might know more about adding the filter?

me or you?

Proper flow?

the tranny fluid is 25psi to the cooler!

with debris and cold fluid it drops to 3-5psi because it already has a blockage.

Please enlighten me if you have some knowledge i don;t but don;t contradict me with an unfounded best guess.

On Lexus's website there is an Owner FAQ and here is what it says:

Transmission fluid

Question

How long can transmission fluid last?

Answer: "If a vehicle is driven under light usage, the transmission fluid may last 60,000 miles or longer."

So fluid changes every 30,000 - 60,000 miles might work for some grandma owners, but since most owners drive fast and agressively they need the fluid changed* every 15,000 miles.

*Changed means just draining and refilling the transmission oil pan as described in the factory service manual which is a simple and inexpensive procedure.

well noted vgr problem is we all know that that is not shuold be done.

You don't need to drive like a grandma , it basically is the felt fiber backing on the torque convertor that is worn down from disconnecting the TC at high rpms that cause a bloackage in the valve body

SK Performance,

I'm guessing that if you decide to install an aftermarket transmission filter or cooler while your vehicle is still under the normal Lexus warranty, Lexus could then use that decision against you to claim that you have voided your warranty by compromising their transmission system design. Lexus could then have a legal reason to refuse to repair/replace your transmission if you still experience transmission failure down the road.

What's your experience in this situation? Did you approach Lexus for assistance before or after you installed your aftermarket transmission filter? What was their response?

My point here is that you never want to jeopardize your vehicle's warranty. Installing an aftermarket transmission filter or cooler probably gives Lexus the opportunity to tell you "sorry, but you created your own problem and we're not responsible for it".

Ture NC,

I installed the filter after the warranty finished, so it was not a concern anymore.

Lexus know of the flaw as the newer filters are a proper filter media not a strainer like before.

I have been quite lucky with service advisors who look after me. So even with a heavily modified vehicle when it was in warranty they looked after anything for me.

it basically is the felt fiber backing on the torque convertor that is worn down from disconnecting the TC at high rpms that cause a bloackage in the valve body

Toyota first introduced lock up torque converter clutch transmissions 20 years ago. Millions of them are on the road right now and they have not commonly had this "blockage in the valve body" problem you describe.

On the other hand I think Toyotas drvien agressively by street racer / boy racer types of drivers will experience heavy wear and potential fluid contamination issues. So maybe those kinds of drivers could benefit a little from an extra filter.

As I pointed out previously in this thread, the best reason NOT to install aftermarket filters and coolers is because you'll void your warranty with Lexus. After your warranty runs its course, aftermarket hardware could become a consideration. I'm not going to do it, however, because if the transmission in my wife's vehicle fails again, I'll require Lexus to replace it again. I'm batting 1.000 in requiring Lexus to repair these known failures in our RX300 and I expect that to continue.

My Rx300 is out of MFG Warrenty. My biggest concern is keeping the tranny in good condition. I tend to drive hard im not the boy racer type but I tend to drive 80 or 90. So long story short I looking for idea, mod or advise on what the best way to keep my tranny in good condition.

I looking for idea, mod or advise on what the best way to keep my tranny in good condition.

Simply drain and refill the transmission oil pan every 15,000 miles. Incredibly simple. Incredibly inexpensive. And risk free (unlike mods).

I looking for idea, mod or advise on what the best way to keep my tranny in good condition.

Simply drain and refill the transmission oil pan every 15,000 miles. Incredibly simple. Incredibly inexpensive. And risk free (unlike mods).

Does anyone know if the transmission problem mentioned above is limited to the automatic transmision alone, or is the transfer case and the differential also invloved?

I just checked my transmission oil on my newly acquired 2000 RX300 with 30,000 miles only to find that is was light brown in color but without a burnt smell. I believe transmission oil is usually red. I'm now wondering if the other drivetrain oils need to be changed also. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Tony

To VGR,

I thought I read somewhere that a transmission oil change involves a flushing procedure. Is this true or is a tranny oil change just as simple as an engine oil change, where you just drain out the old oil and put in the new? In other words can it be done at home or does it have to be done by the dealer to do it right?

Thanks,

Tony

To SKperformance,

If a flush is the preferred method, it sounds like a dealer job, not a home job. Am I correct?

Also, Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it looks like my owner's manual supplement lists the transmission, transfer case and the differential as three separate items. Now I'm confused. Can you help?

Thanks,

Tony