Damn Garage Door

hey folks, my garage door in my building attacked me tonight. i wasnt aware but the mangement in my condo building decided to put a new garge door in with no optical sensor on it, result my front bumper almost getting ripped off. as i pulled in i notice the door closing in on me so i backed up but not quick enough and my bumper got caught by the door. i attached a pic. im gettin cochrain for this, some1 could have gotten seriously hurt.

post-11661-1107670534_thumb.jpg

In my part of the country, optical sensors are required on all newly installed garage door openers although they are not required on opener installations before sometime in the 1990's. Unfortunately, optical sensors are required only to protect a person laying on the floor -- the sensor beam must be between four and six inches above the floor surface. Check to see if there are sensors installed near the floor which unfortunately would not protect car bumpers.

I installed an additional set of optical sensors at bumper level on each of our garage doors to prevent this kind of problem. Additional sets of sensors are quite inexpensive - probably less than $30 including the mounting brackets - and are easy to hook up.

If you own a condo then you almost certainly own a fractional interest in everything else including the parking garage and those garage doors. Even if the door already has sensors near ground level, you might suggest that additional sensors be installed to protect cars and the garage doors from damage.

If the management company, without notifying you, installed a near opener or changed the opener in a way that no longer protects your property, then they or your condominium association may be liable for paying for the repair of the damage to your car. Unfortunately, this may be easier to get resolved if you are an owner and not a renter.

I'm in my second term on my association board and I am really looking forward to my term ending at the end of this year!

hey folks, my garage door in my building attacked me tonight. i wasnt aware but the mangement in my condo building decided to put a new garge door in with no optical sensor on it, result my front bumper almost getting ripped off. as i pulled in i notice the door closing in on me so i backed up but not quick enough and my bumper got caught by the door.  i attached a pic. im gettin cochrain for this, some1 could have gotten seriously hurt.

are you sure that your condo management failed to install the sensors? if so, they failed to obey the laws:

"Automatic reversal systems have been required by law for all garage door openers in the United States since 1991. Optical sensors became a requirement in 1993."

hey folks, my garage door in my building attacked me tonight. i wasnt aware but the mangement in my condo building decided to put a new garge door in with no optical sensor on it, result my front bumper almost getting ripped off. as i pulled in i notice the door closing in on me so i backed up but not quick enough and my bumper got caught by the door.  i attached a pic. im gettin cochrain for this, some1 could have gotten seriously hurt.

are you sure that your condo management failed to install the sensors? if so, they failed to obey the laws:

"Automatic reversal systems have been required by law for all garage door openers in the United States since 1991. Optical sensors became a requirement in 1993."

the sensor is facing the wrong direction, i.e. its on the wrong side, the opening unit was placed on the opposite side thus the motion sensor is indoors when it's supposed to be outdoors.

the sensor is facing the wrong direction, i.e. its on the wrong side, the opening unit was placed on the opposite side thus the motion sensor is indoors when it's supposed to be outdoors.

That's just the optical sensor.

Most garage door openers also have an automatic reversal system - which relies on the force of the door hitting something.