Buying A 92 Ls400 Soon With 178k Any Suggestions ?

The one I'm interested has 178 miles on it. Which I'm the new kid on the block having any knowledge on a Lexus. Especially, a vehicle that has a lot many miles on it. I have a friend that said these vehicles are only beginning to live their lives having miles on them. The difference is they are someone elses miles instead. I dont have no idea what the future reliable ability of the vehicle will be. If I decide to go ahead purchasing it. Since it does appear to be in a nice condition after thirteen years of use by the 1st owner. :blink:

The one I'm interested has 178 miles on it. Which I'm the new kid on the block having any knowledge on a Lexus. Especially, a vehicle that has a lot many miles on it. I have a friend that said these vehicles are only beginning to live their lives having miles on them. The difference is they are someone elses miles instead. I dont have no idea what the future reliable ability of the vehicle will be. If I decide to go ahead purchasing it. Since it does appear to be in a nice condition after thirteen years of use by the 1st owner. :blink:

Take it to your mechanic for a complete inspection first off & since you mention this has been a 1 owner vehicle, Ask the owner for ALL service records(mileage on a car is not that important as long as the car was driven & maintained properly & not abused).....if the owner gives you a hard time with either.......RUN, don't walk away from th edeal. ;)

:cheers:

Some will say at 178K the car is just broken in but I beg to differ. Lexus is very reliable but is still subjected to deterioration with age. I do all work on my Lex but still prefer to pay more for lower mileage Lex. The price different for the mileage is lower than the amount of depreciation in years it takes to rack up those miles in my case.

I agree with that totally. The Big things (engine, transmission) are bulletproof on these cars and very few with any amount of miles need engine or trans work. Having said that, there's a list of things that need to be fixed if they haven't already:

PS pump

suspension

TB service

LCD display

seats are probably a worn/soft

A pretty short list as most cars go (and I'm sure I missed a few) but stuff to look for anyway.

Bob

Well 3 days ago I bought mine LS 400 with 130k.Overall inside/outside tidy car. The price was OK and condition seemed ok. Since I drove last time with Lexus year or so ago it it very complicated to figure out the differences. Only on second day i realise i need a new shocks due to bumpy road. Overall inside/outside tidy car but electronics-

Should wait for a while in cold weather for tacho to start,

Somehow fog lams don't come up no sound from relay,

Seats heater relay clicks but no heat,

Electronic switch for trunk to open:( dead,

No reverse lights but bulbs OK,

Infamous ac/temp/clock/display

So I considered some spendigs... before I buy. Since I am car electric these things I will fix myself. I ordered full service parts and shocks. First bill from workshop would be around $1000-$1500

Hi, Mr_Fantasic_Plastic

If you are a do it yourself type of guy, then the repairs won't be so much and you will for sure have repairs. Mostly little things. I bought mine at 115,000 miles and now have 250,000+ miles and I am very happy with it. I started to do my own work on it and it's proven to save a lot of money. For example I rebuilt the power steering pump for $100 cdn (new bearing and seals) and now after over 120,000 miles, it is still working fine. Dealer wanted $700 cdn to replace and install a new one. Be sure to do a compression test and have it gone over with a good mechanic before making your final decision. I would think you should be able to get at least 350,000+ miles out these cars. My 2 cents worth :cheers: Daffy

• 2 weeks later...