Leak Fest

slstsang

I took my 92 es300 113K to change the front engine mount and here's what the lex tech find out:

1.valve cover gasket leak

2. cam seals leak

3. rear main seal leak

4. transmission pan leak

5. advise PS & AC Belt change

The timing belt was changed at 68K, should i change all belts then?

Which ones should i do first ?

I did the cover gasket few months ago and now it leaks again, what gives?

Can i do the cam seals myself? is it hard?

How much am i looking at for all things seperately? I hate it when mechanics take advantage of women :angry:

sorry guys, i'm just really upset :cries:

I took my 92 es300 113K to change the front engine mount and here's what the lex tech find out:

1.valve cover gasket leak

2. cam seals leak

3. rear main seal leak

4. transmission pan leak

5. advise PS & AC Belt change

The timing belt was changed at 68K, should i change all belts then?

Which ones should i do first ?

I did the cover gasket few months ago and now it leaks again, what gives?

Can i do the cam seals myself? is it hard?

How much am i looking at for all things seperately? I hate it when mechanics take advantage of women :angry:

sorry guys, i'm just really upset  :cries:

A number of comments:

1. Did they give you an estimate for all that work? Even if you don't plan to have them do it, it would be useful to have their estimate - and another shop's.

2. IF they're seeing leakage around the valve cover gasket and you just did it, one of two things probalby happened:

a. You didn't really fix the problem and it's still leaking (either due to improper installation or bad mating surfases)

b. You fixed the problem but they misdiagnosed it because there's still some oil there.

It does seem rather odd for all those things to need attention at the same time. Do you see oil and/or transmission fluid on your driveway or garage?

If i have this problem

first i fix valve cover gasket. and transmission gasket.

because sometime reason of valvecover people thinks camshaft is leaking.

still you see oil is leaking and depands how bad is leaking.

if it is bad, i do timing belt and camshaft seal, crenkshaft seal and other belt.

if leaking is not bad, wait till you reach 140,000 then do TB.

Valvecover+ Transmission gasket ~$450

Timing belt +seals+otherbelts~$600

Good luck.

i would have your PCV valve checked and/or changed out if it wasn't done along with the VC gaskets.  Hopefully you're still not using the original one  :blink:

mine was at 138,000 miles...and it was a mess to say the least. the camshaft and crankshaft seals are not something you whould attempt if you have to pay someone to do your timing belt change. while these are DOHC (Dual Over-Head Camshafts) Engines, and everything is right up on top, but that doesnt make it any easier. so my advice to you is if you have never changed a timing belt on an engine before (a V6 engine) then chances are you probably shouldnt attmpt camshaft and crankshaft seals. the timing belt has to come off, thus you will undo the timing, to get to these seals.

and sepaking from eperiece there is nothing worse than picking up where someone else left off...LOL.

if you have any doubts about how to do what you are about to attempt, DO NOT PICK UP A SINGLE WRENCH...until you have reseached it further, it could cost you more in the long run. ;)

i didnt really lookinto how much that woudl cost,but think twice if u wanna invest that much money into a 1992 car.

nonsense, i wil be putting well over 5K into my car, and its a 1990, by the time its all said and done, it just depends on how your priorities are, if u intend to keep the car for many years, go ahead and get it done, if its just serving as a "get you by" or if its just another car to you and you really dont care about it, dont fix it.

the biggest PITA i see on there is the rear main seal leak...and you can find a shop to do this for around the area of $600...

the valve covers are $400 and the timing belt./wp will add another $650 onto that...the camshaft and cranksjhaft seals are easily accesed when the timing belt is off for the TB/WP change so have them change those.

i would gladly pay $2k to keep a lovely car on the road, so i can enjoy it all that much more. ESPECIALLY if thats all thats wrong with it.