91 Ls 400 Front Seats Hurt My Butt!

914lps

I never thought the seats in these cars were comfortable. My wife drives the LS most of the time and she loves them, go figure? I think the most comfortable seats ever put in cars are in a Saab. My brother has a 9-5 aero and the leather seats are just perfect. If my Lexus had Saab seats it would be the perfect car.

What I dislike about the seats are that they are flat and hard.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah,

I have a 1991 Lexus LS.. My driver seat is pretty good still.. But my passenger seat, I don't know if the foam is gone or what, but it is really hard...

WHen you sit on it it feels really hard and just flat..

My solution... I bought seats at a junkyard out of a different car...

I bought leather seats from a 1987 Lincoln continental... Town cars's seats are really comfy, but too big... The continental series, right before 1988 when they changed the sytle to the split bench, those seats fit perfectly in the LS..

THe interior codes of the grey leather are an exact match for my 1991 lexus which is silver and grey leather....You can't even tellt he difference in the shades.. except for the small difference in the pattern of the leather... But man, those bottom's are much more comfy..

It's unbelievable the difference in the foam between the lincoln seat and the lexus bottom... I don't know if lexus was trying to go after hte sporty, firmer euro seat or what.. But I love the soft on your butt, comfortable american lincoln seat..

THe length, width of the continental seat fits perfectly ove the lexus bottom.. THe sides go down. and lexus has that little trim piece on the bottom of the seat the hides the cutouts of the lincoln.. Since the seat controls of the lincoln are on the inside left of the seat, at a control panel next to the hump in the middle of hte car...

I wish all lexus seats were this comfortable.. No more wife complaints.. LOL.. :)

ALso, I forgot to add.

I bought each seat complete for $20 each.. at a "Wrench and go" type place... THe biggest trick is finding junkyard carS that the doors aren't missing where the leather is still pretty good..As long as the seats are in good condition, it's amazing what a little Lexol lether cleaner and then follow up with conditioner will do to junkyard seats, they look like new... Right now I just have the bottom's replaced with the lincoln bottoms, but maybe this winter I"ll replace the backs also so all the seat matches... But I don't really care for the back of that lincoln seat it's all vinyl.. LOL..

And another thing.. Why are the rear seats so plush and comfortable.. They have lots of foam in them.. WHy didn't they do that to the front.. Is it because the rear seats are 'cupped' and they hold you and they had to make the front harder so you don't tip around so much?? I DUNNO.. Is my car the only one where the rear seats are soft as lincoln seats but the front are flat as a board??

But Idunno, vinyl or whatever that is, that seat is soooo comfy compared to the hard as a rock lexus seat..LOL..

tcho82,

Yeah, I'll take some pictures.. I just bought a new digital camera, let me learn how to use that thing and I'll try to get some new pictures next week early for you.. I have football games to watch this saturday and sunday I'll be recovering from a bachelor party..LOL..

post-27768-1158371232_thumb.jpgOK,

I have some good pictures of my new seat bottom.. Let's see how do I put pictures.. I guess I'll attach them?

The first picture above is the original seat bottom cushion out of the Lexus front passenger seat.. Look how pathetically flat it is..LOL..I'm holding it sideways.. It's like a flat board..

post-27768-1158372429_thumb.jpg

The second picture is the comporable seat bottom from a 1987 lincoln continental.. Back in the 80's when they made comfortable seats and everybody wasn't crazed with the hard euro seats like they are now..

post-27768-1158372007_thumb.jpg

This last picture is the installed final product showing the seat controls.. That seat bottom makes you sit perfe3ct height in the car.. It has lots more padding, you'd think you'd be "sitting high" but not the case.. All that extra padding gets scrunced as you sit and it's very comfortable

Here are some more pictures for eye candy... Even though the bottom cushion pattern doesn't match the seat back of the original lexus, %95 of the people won't even notice.. Maybe for a winter project I'll change out the seatback of the lexus seat w/the lincoln one, but for now it is ok..

post-27768-1158372585_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the front of the seat by the passenger footwell's.. With the orignal lexus seat, it has that nice trim piece that covers up all your hog rings that are unsightly because the seat cover at the attachment points aren't perfect obviously cuz it's designed for a lincoln continental, not a lexus... But with this trim piece, it doesn't matter.. Nice..

post-27768-1158372639_thumb.jpg

This picture is the rear of the seat.. Again the trim piece and the carpet from the lincoln hide my hog rings and I also used plastic tie stripspost-27768-1158372851_thumb.jpg

Matches pretty good huh.. I have some alignment on the cushion to do on the second picture, then I'm done..

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased an after market padding in the form of a pillow with memory foam. Allows me to move my scrawny !Removed! until I find a comfortable spot. Today I got so comfortable I almost fell asleep on the 401- had to be honked at to get revived.

Regular seat felt hard as a board and made me numb.

The pillow was a good deal at XSCargo for $20.

Yep, I have a 2003 LS430 and the front seats are very hard on the butt. I've spoken to Lexus dealer but to no avail, they just disregard whatever it is you're telling them. A simple solution is to have a soft throw, towel, or lamb skin that you sit on. Place on the seat so it covers all but the last 4 inches of the seat and you will notice a difference in how the seat affects you're butt. Hope this helps, I do the same with my compuer seat when i sit for long periods of time.

regards,

joe

• 1 month later...

:) I've been in furniture business 35 years,recently bought 2001 LS430,hunt my butt.I took it to trim shop he said latex foam breaks down.had seat refoamed sits great.All foam breaks down over time or too much use or weight.Cost $130 to repair.

I have had my 91 LS 400 for about one year now. I find the front seats very hard on my butt. My pasangers have complained also. After about an 1 1/2 to 2 hours man, my butt hurts. I talked to a guy that recovered my truck seats for me. He told me he could put new foam in, but it would not realy help. It is the way the seat is made. Any ideas???? How do your seats feel????