Saab Issues Engine Sludge Recall

Lexusfreak

GM's Saab recalls 400,000 cars over engine flaw

AFX News Limited - January 28, 2005

Motor Trend

General Motor Corp's Swedish subsidiary Saab Automobile AB said it is recalling up to 400,000 of its 9-5 and 9-3 cars worldwide due to an engine design flaw.

The company said the flaw could lead to a rapid deterioration of oil quality and damage turbo-charged engines.

"As many as 400,000 cars may be affected worldwide," Saab spokesman Oerjan Aaslund said, refusing to reveal how much money the company would be forced to spend on the repairs.

The company said it will issue an 8-year retroactive engine guarantee for its 1998 to 2000 9-5 models and its 2000 to 2003 9-3 models.

"The guarantee means that customers who have been affected by motor problems due to oil sludge will receive full financial compensation," Saab said in a statement, pointing out that the purchaser of a vehicle in 1998 would still have a valid guarantee through 2006.

The car manufacturer said that about 4 pct of the 95,000 cars equipped with the engines in question circulating in Sweden appeared to have experienced problems.

"Sweden has been more affected than many other markets... mainly due to the fact that it is colder here and it takes longer for the engines to warm up," Aaslund said.

Copyright 2005. AFX News Ltd

:cheers:

GM's Saab recalls 400,000 cars over engine flaw

AFX News Limited - January 28, 2005

Motor Trend

General Motor Corp's Swedish subsidiary Saab Automobile AB said it is recalling up to 400,000 of its 9-5 and 9-3 cars worldwide due to an engine design flaw.

The company said the flaw could lead to a rapid deterioration of oil quality and damage turbo-charged engines.

"As many as 400,000 cars may be affected worldwide," Saab spokesman Oerjan Aaslund said, refusing to reveal how much money the company would be forced to spend on the repairs.

The company said it will issue an 8-year retroactive engine guarantee for its 1998 to 2000 9-5 models and its 2000 to 2003 9-3 models.

"The guarantee means that customers who have been affected by motor problems due to oil sludge will receive full financial compensation," Saab said in a statement, pointing out that the purchaser of a vehicle in 1998 would still have a valid guarantee through 2006.

The car manufacturer said that about 4 pct of the 95,000 cars equipped with the engines in question circulating in Sweden appeared to have experienced problems.

"Sweden has been more affected than many other markets... mainly due to the fact that it is colder here and it takes longer for the engines to warm up," Aaslund said.

Copyright 2005. AFX News Ltd

:cheers:

That sucks, my concorde is said to hav this issue too, but i have Mobil1 Super Syn (soon to be valvoline Max life synth) and a rigorous 5,000 mile schedule...I am ok, i pull the pan once or twice a year and check everything anyways.

Chalk one up for domestics!!! :rolleyes:

Notice ford never has had this issue...but they have had a whole slew of others. PM me if you want the details on those...like why so many 3.0L Duratech V6's (mazda6, jag Xtype, escape, freestyle, 500, taurus, Lincoln LS and a few other models) are extremely prone to spinning rod bearings on #'s 1, 4, and 5 cyliners.

Don't blame it on domestics (Saab arguably is still foreign, I doubt GM had anything to do with that engine) Toyota has the same problem with the V6 engine used in the ES.

And Ford did have this issue with the 3.0L V6 used in the Taurus/Lincoln Continental between 1987 and 1994.

Don't blame it on domestics (Saab arguably is still foreign, I doubt GM had anything to do with that engine) Toyota has the same problem with the V6 engine used in the ES.

And Ford did have this issue with the 3.0L V6 used in the Taurus/Lincoln Continental between 1987 and 1994.

i was talking about my cyrslers engine LOL

and i never knew that..well, learn something new every day LOL. :cheers: