Hand Made Lexus?

Katydid

My husband was talking to a Lexus salesman and during the conversation, he mentioned he had a '91 LS400 to trade in. To which the salesman replied :o You don't want to trade that in! "Did you not know that 91 and 92 were hand made automobiles?" No he had no idea. Is this accurate information? Please advise.

PS the LED for clock and temp on ours is dark until it sits in the sun but goes back to black soon as the interior becomes cool again. Will that be the case if we buy a '97 or '98 LS400?

Any informed opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks! Katydid

It depends on your definition of "hand made". If he meant like an old Ferrari or Aston Martin, then certainly not, no Lexus is "hand made". If he means that a few people watched and assisted while large machines manoevered components into position, and that a human drove it off the assembly line, then he may be right. Which would mean that all cars are "hand made".

These are production line cars, which makes them better than any hand made car I have ever worked on - and I have worked on a few.....

There are a few threads here about the display, and you will find it interesting to read them and find out about the skilled gentleman who can and will fix the problem. I am not sure if the later cars were more reliable regarding the display, but I imagine they were.

Certain components on the LS are hand made, like the wood leather steering wheels (takes 3 weeks to make one) but on the whole, the car is and has always been assembly line and machine made. Either that salesman has really bad info, or he just didnt want to take it on trade and lied to you.

My husband was talking to a Lexus salesman and during the conversation, he mentioned he had a '91 LS400 to trade in. To which the salesman replied :o You don't want to trade that in! "Did you not know that 91 and 92 were hand made automobiles?" No he had no idea. Is this accurate information? Please advise.

PS the LED for clock and temp on ours is dark until it sits in the sun but goes back to black soon as the interior becomes cool again. Will that be the case if we buy a '97 or '98 LS400?

Any informed opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks! Katydid

The salesmen was blowing smoke..He just did not want to deal with that year of a car. Sad to say, but the LS used car market is not a hot one. The sales guy would not make as much money on your new car deal..

Yeah, that's a !Removed! salesman tactic. You would be offended by the trade in allowance and he knows that would kill the deal. Here, take a look for yourself> http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb....400&13;LE;A2&&&

$3,675 w/120K in fair condition.

The dealers don't even want to pay you that. They want to steal the trade. Something like $3,000 probably? I wouldn't deal with that place if this is how it starts. :(