Mechanic recommendations

Cornell87

I just bought a 1997 LS400 with just under 100k miles. It's first maintenance visit under my care will be to the local dealer (Lexus of Rockville) for Maryland state inspection and probably some brake work (the front pads were at 30% at the last service). But after that I'm wondering if it's worth returning to the dealer, or if I should just find a good independent shop that "specializes" in Lexus.

This is my first Lexus. My prior cars were older Mercedes (70s/80s/90s vintage), and it was just not worth taking them to the dealer – anyone who’s owned an MB will know what I’m taking about here. One of the reasons I switched to Lexus was because of the great reputation for dealer service, but I'm wondering if I can save money (without sacrificing the longevity of the car) by going to an independent mechanic.

Also, to anyone that might be in the Wash DC area -- any recommendations for independent shops in the DC suburbs? How about the local dealers? Is there one with a particularly good (or bad) service department?

• 3 months later...

I have no recommendation for a mechanic in your area, but if you can get quality work form a local mechanic, then by all means use that resource. A good, honest wrench is worth it's weight in gold. While there are dealerships that are very honest and do good work, there are also dealerships that are less than ideal. Prices are usually higher with dealerships.

• 11 months later...