Power Steering Filters

Tote

In the morning my power steering pump whines. So I did some reading and have flushed the fluid and cleaned the filter on the rack under the car. I saw a picture of what I was looking for and felt confident in doing the work. Also saw tutorial on how to flush system. My thing, is that I like to see what I'm getting myself into (looking for)?

I read that there is a second filter in the area of the pump itself. I do not want to take everything apart and find out that there is no second filter as I cannot find one picture of what it looks like or where it is located.

If any one that has actually cleaned or actually seen the second filter. please let me know where it is that I need to focus on. A picture would be best if possible or a link as to where I can find a pic or tutorial for the second filter.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thnaks in advance

LS400 93'

Tote

There's a filter in the bottom of the reservoir attached to the power steering pump. I'm not sure that you can get the reservoir off w/out taking off the pump, but you may be able to get to the filter while the reservoir is still attaached. It's iffy though.

My understanding is that you should carefully bend back the tabs on the cover of the reservoir (not the cap, but the part the cap screws onto). The filter is in the bottom of the reservoir, designed to catch debris before it enters the pump itself.

Hello, thanks for the reply. I did empty the reservoir and see a screen it does seem dirty. It also seems as though it is torn and hanging(that's if its suppose to be flat). probably clogging the line. Will check tommorrow morning in day light. If it is just hanging I will pull it completely out.

If I do remove the screen, I will be looking for an inline filter to put on the line that provides fluid to the pump. The same line that is use to flush the system. I have extra hose if needed.

Any recommendation on the type of filters to use that can be used for this application?

What do you guys think? Any Pros or cons?

Thanks Again

Tote

I just put an Inline filter into the return line on my 91 LS 400. I had to use about a foot and a half of line to get a straight area of about 4 inches for the filter. I ran the line from the pump down under the brack lines, then up though them again to get a straight run to the return hose. I got the filter at Auto Zone. Cost $13.00! made of plastic??? Made by a company called Cardone has part number 20FTL1 on it. Filters down to 200 microns. they have a web site at: http://www.cardone.com but they do not show the part.

• 4 weeks later...
In the morning my power steering pump whines. So I did some reading and have flushed the fluid and cleaned the filter on the rack under the car. I saw a picture of what I was looking for and felt confident in doing the work. Also saw tutorial on how to flush system.  My thing, is that I like to see what I'm getting myself into (looking for)?

I read that there is a second filter in the area of the pump itself. I do not want to take everything apart and find out that there is no second filter as I cannot find one picture of what it looks like or where it is located.

If any one that has actually cleaned or actually seen the second filter. please let me know where it is that I need to focus on.  A picture would be best if possible or a link as to where I can find a pic or tutorial for the second filter.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thnaks in advance

LS400 93'

Tote

Tote:

I'm about to replace my ACV and maybe PS pump also.  Where is the filter on the rack under the car that you'd mentioned?  Thanks.

It is on the part of the sellanoid on the rack under the car. It is located by the drivers side if the rack. If you do a search on the posts you will find lots of info. Or you can pull up all of my posts. Look for Power streeing post. I posted everything on this as I had to clean mine.

I just put an Inline filter into the return line on my 91 LS 400.  I had to use about a foot and a half of line to get a straight area of about 4 inches for the filter.  I ran the line from the pump down under the brack lines, then up though them again to get a straight run to the return hose.  I got the filter at Auto Zone.  Cost $13.00!  made of plastic???  Made by a company called Cardone  has part number 20FTL1 on it.  Filters down to 200 microns.  they have a web site at: http://www.cardone.com but they do not show the part.

RockAuto has the A1 Cardone Part#20FLT1 for $1.52. That's quite a

mark-up by Auto Zone.

LANLEX, Hope you figured it out, but if not, do a search for power stering and the thread that has all the useful info and pictures has a topic title of

"500 Miles From Home And Power Steering Going Out"

That threads was Started by " 914LPS" if you can search by user. 914lps put some awesome info as far as power steering issues in general. He has some great links, which got me through my power steering head aches

Hope that helps

jschunke, I haven't added a filter on my other LS's yet (I will now). Great find on that A1 Cardone Part#20FLT1 for $1.52. Just comes to show what can happen with a little reseach.

Tote Thank you for the kind words. PS is all fixed now. I put on an inline filter to help down the line. I also found a way to clean the filter screen in the pump without taking anything apart. I need to do a wirte up on it. It cost me a few extra bucks in fluid but only took an hour of my time.

I will write it up. But for now I'm dealing with a bad idle conrole valve.