Gas Consumption

LuxOhio

I just bought a lexus 99 Rx 300 with 88000 miles. I am getting about around 15.5 miles/gallon. I drive about 60% on highways. Isn't this a little less? Is there anything I can do to improve the gas consumption. I think my driving style is not bad, I get pretty good gas consumption on my other car. Let me know if I can do anything, thanks in advance.

Do you ever use Fuel System Cleaner to clean your fuel injector?  did you check air filter?

mine averages about 16 to 17 highway and city. best I ever saw was 21 going from California to North Carolina. Ps I have AWD version

I just bought a lexus 99 Rx 300 with 88000 miles. I am getting about around 15.5 miles/gallon. I drive about 60% on highways. Isn't this a little less? Is there anything I can do to improve the gas consumption. I think my driving style is not bad, I get pretty good gas consumption on my other car. Let me know if I can do anything, thanks in advance.

I also have a 99 with similar miles and mileage. The mission at this stage is to maintain rather than lose mpg---mine slowly and steadily went to 12 at which point it was rough idling and just had the check engine lite kick on...I checked out this forum, disconnected the battery to reset the light and:

1) checked sp wires

2) new plugs

3) changed air filter

4) changed pcv valve

5) changed oil

6) cleaned the maf sensor

7) cleaned the tbi and iac

8) correct tire pressure

9) fuel system additive

After, the mileage was restored and the rough idle and check engine light went away... plus the acceleration and performance improved.

Collectively, these repairs made a world of difference and saved an expensive dealer visit... all are monitored regularly nowadays.

Nick/Las Vegas

I am in the same boat - I just bought a 1999 rx300 with 60,000 - and feel that I am gettting poor mileage - 16.5 on the highway - love the car otherwise, but a shock to my system after getting 25-28 with my Camry wagon! Help!

My wife has a new 2004 RX330 which we bought in September and since then drives around town almost exclusively, and then on mostly short trips . Gas mileage based on the computer (which may not accurately record the results) has been as low as 10.5 miles/gallon. On the upside, it can be as high as 13. The few long trips we have taken result in a better and more acceptable average of around 25 miles/gallon.

Does anyone who only drives short distances have similarily bad results? I am planning to take the car back to the dealer to investigate but would first like to know if others are experiencing equally poor mileage.

I also have a 99 with similar miles and mileage. The mission at this stage is to maintain rather than lose mpg---mine slowly and steadily went to 12 at which point it was rough idling and just had the check engine lite kick on...I checked out this forum, disconnected the battery to reset the light and:

1) checked sp wires

2) new plugs

3) changed air filter

4) changed pcv valve

5) changed oil

6) cleaned the maf sensor

7) cleaned the tbi and iac

8) correct tire pressure

9) fuel system additive

After, the mileage was restored and the rough idle and check engine light went away... plus the acceleration and performance improved.

Collectively, these repairs made a world of difference and saved an expensive dealer visit... all are monitored regularly nowadays.

Nick/Las Vegas

I get around 15 mpg in the city and 19-20 on the highway. I agree that the cold weather probably contributes to the poor gas mileage. I found that using premium gas adds about 2-3 mpg so its worth the extra $.10/gallon, plus if you have a Sam's Club nearly, premium gas is only about $0.05-$0.10 / gallon more expensive than regular unleaded at the other gas stations.

My question though is regarding this routine maintenance. Did you perform all of this mantainance on your own? How do you check sp wires, spark plugs, pcv valve, maf sensor, and how do you clean the tbi and iac? I'm not even sure what the maf sensor, the tbi or the iac are. Is there a form you could direct me to?

I have recently changed the oil and air filter and routinely check the tire pressure. Thanks.

Jason