Motor Swap Question

sidemotion

Im new so be gentle. Im seriously thinking of buying a 91 LS400. The problem with this car is that it has a blown engine. Seems the lady who owned the car broke a hose then decided to drive the car home with no water and seized the engine. The good new is that she is willing to get rid of the car for $2500. It is in perfect shape other than the engine.

My friend imported am JDM Aristo 2JZGTE twin turbo w/auto trans front clip for a now defunked project. He is willing to sell it to me for $3000.

Now the million dollar question I have is, do you guys think this swap would be possible? The reason I ask is that I know the GS's come with the N/A version of this engine here in the US, as well as the SC's comming with BOTH the N/A 2JZGE and the V8 option.

Im thinking it would just be a matter of fitting SC or GS N/A engine mounts or do you think major fabrication of the LS mounts are required to make this work? I could have an awesome ride for under $6000. Think of the tuning possiblities...

Do you think it would work?

The engines are so long lived in the LS that wrecking yards sell them quite cheaply. For a lot less than the money you quote you can get a stock V-8 and that will be a plug and play. Putting a six in will be tough, and expensive.

It sure would be possible...heck, some guy even has a rear wheel drive Honda Civic. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend or how much work you are willing to put out.

I think $2500 is too much for a 91 LS with a blown motor.

The engines are so long lived in the LS that wrecking yards sell them quite cheaply.  For a lot less than the money you quote you can get a stock V-8 and that will be a plug and play.  Putting a six in will be tough, and expensive.

Can seem to find any Lexus's in the junkyards here in Hawai..this is the first broken one ive seen. I dont really want to put a six speed in the car as the Aristo half cut comes with an automatic trans.

SRK i noticed that you have both a LS and a GS, I know its a lot to ask, but would you be able to look at both engines and see if the GS engine mount look like they would fit in the LS? Meaning where the engine mounts attach to the chassis on both cars do the look similar like in bolt pattern?

It sure would be possible...heck, some guy even has a rear wheel drive Honda Civic. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend or how much work you are willing to put out.

I think $2500 is too much for a 91 LS with a blown motor.

Myself and a couple buddy already did a few SR20 swaps so we are pretty proficient at swaps/wiring. Although we dont have the facilities/equiptment to do fabrication. I would like to know, if any of the SC/GS engine mounts are compatible with the LS?. Anyone?

As for the lady's $2500 asking price. The car had been sitting for awhile. What price do you think I should ask?

Sidemotion:

I don't think it will work since they are totally different engines hence totally different ECMs. Stock clusters, climate control etc will be a challenge to rewire.

If you were dropping a JDM Celsior motor in your new LS it might do it.

I'd invest my money and time towards a LS v8, rebuild it, and just for kicks add one of the super charger kits.

Whatever you do let us know how it turns out. I'm sure we'll try to help you as much as possible.

$2500 for the body is fair but definitely bargain w/ her.

Well I think 2500 is way above what I'd pay. I would go to a Lexus dealer and get a quote for having the work done there. They will probably quote you about the price of a new LS430. Take that printout and go to the lady. Show it to her and offer 1000 cash (showing money is important). Tell her to take it or leave it.

Beside the folks here are right. There are plenty of LS400 engines out there for less than 1000$. Get the same year and it will drop right in. The LS had so many unique features I believe putting anything different in will be a waste of time.

Alain

SRK i noticed that you have both a LS and a GS, I know its a lot to ask, but would you be able to look at both engines and see if the GS engine mount look like they would fit in the LS?

The engine mounting points on the block appear to be the same. The mounts themselves and the brackets to the body are not.

since the engine you want to put is I6 i dont think LS mounts will fit the new engine perfectly. you can get 1uzfe for like 300-500$ and have it replaced for another 300-500$

also this I6 engine utilizes completely different set of electronic devises and you will have problems adjusting power steering system.

i also give u 95% that the tranny will not fit to the new engine

and you will ahve to get ECM for engine and for the abs, traction etc repolaced

and everything rewired

this whole project is doable but it will cost you far more than this LS, New v8 and that i6 engine that u got. i estimate few month of work and around 6-9k spent.

Damn you guys work fast! I just got back from a recycler and they have a V8 instock and would sell it for $600. I wanted to tell you guys this is what I was going to do, but you guys beat me too it :whistles: Im gonna offer 500 for the engine and go from there.

On a side note, are there any links to performance products for the 1uzfe? I know nothing of this engine and would like to rebuild the blown engine with performance stuff later.

Aloha!

not that much , i know the engine block can sustain up to 700hp without any major mod but the problem is the space under the hood. check www.lextreme.com

for the tips and how-tos about pimpiin up genI LS

If you want to modify an engine, buy a Camaro. I did, and I got over it. I bought a GS400 to replace it.

The Lexus V-8 is just fine the way it is. There is not much that can be done to it, short of extremely expensive power adders like turbos and superchargers. Lexus doesn't even supply oversize pistons. If the bores are worn, they will sell you a new block.

Even if you do attempt this, and are successful, some gearhead in a mildly modded Camaro will blow past you like you are standing still when and if you find a drag race.

Drive the Lexus for what it is - arguably the best automotive compromise on the planet. So buy the cheap one and fix it, or just buy one that needs nothing - and most of them need nothing.