Tranny Issues ........help Please

94 SC400

Has anyone had any experience with transmission rebuilds? Cost?

It will not engage when in "drive". I have to put it in "low", then manually go through the gears in order to go anywhere . Already did a fluid flush& change.

The shop near me wants $2000. to rebuild. :o Is that reasonable, or a ripoff?

Thanks

94 SC400

117,00 mi.

how long have you had the car? have you been changing the tranny fluid or did you just do it for the first time now. im thinking of doing it but i heard it was bad you its never been done. i have a 94 also but it has 122k.

how long have you had the car? have you been changing the tranny fluid or did you just do it for the first time now. im thinking of doing it but i heard it was bad you its never been done. i have a 94 also but it has 122k.

Sorry I disappeared last night, Rich, I just wanted to get my question out there

but needed some sleep after that. I've had my SC for 5 years, and changed the fluid once in that span....... w/ no problems.

Mine was rebuilt about 10 months ago by boost logic here in austin, tx, www.boostlogic.com . They specialize in high performance cars like suprs and suped up lexus sc's like mine. mine was rebuilt through them to hold 600hp at the wheels and i only have 480 at the wheels now, and i couldn't be anymore happier about the tranny. So, for price, it was $3200 for: high performance built tranny, torque converter, and install (tranny-$2800 torque converter-$400 install-included in price of tranny). so, $2000 for a standard built tranny by itself is maybe a little expensive, i would say ~$1500 for the tranny and install.

Mine was rebuilt about 10 months ago by boost logic here in austin, tx, www.boostlogic.com .  They specialize in high performance cars like suprs and suped up lexus sc's like mine.  mine was rebuilt through them to hold 600hp at the wheels and i only have 480 at the wheels now, and i couldn't be anymore happier about the tranny.  So, for price, it was $3200 for: high performance built tranny, torque converter, and install (tranny-$2800 torque converter-$400 install-included in price of tranny). so, $2000 for a standard built tranny by itself is maybe a little expensive, i would say ~$1500 for the tranny and install.

I appreciate the info............. I'm taking it to one more shop on Monday. I explained the problem to the tech over the phone and he said it could be electrical. I'll see what he comes up with............

thanx again

Used trannys can be had for cheap. When mine went out on my 92 SC400 I was able to get a 60k tranny for $400 and installed for $200 plus fluid. check out car-part.com. Hopefully it is something electrical. Let us know how you make out.

• 1 month later...
Used trannys can be had for cheap. When mine went out on my 92 SC400 I was able to get a 60k tranny for $400 and installed for $200 plus fluid. check out car-part.com. Hopefully it is something electrical. Let us know how you make out.

where did you get the tranny ? and who did you have install it ?

Ken