Rear Rotor Removal Tip

lexus400

I just replaced my rear rotors and they didn't just slide off like the fronts do. I read a lot of posts about adjusting the e-brake, hammer, etc., but the easiest way is a harmonic balancer/puller. If you don't have one of these do yourself a favor and add it to your collection. They're only about $20. There are two threaded holes in the rotor which you put in the approriate size bolts from the set and then turn the rod in the middle of the puller. They will pop right off. Mine were on really tight but took less than a minute per side. I just did a timing belt and was able to get the crank pulley right off after reading stories of people taking hours and in some cases doing damage. Again, less than a minute and the pulley was off.

HUGE timesaver and a tool that everyone should have...

Bob

Apparently you didn't notice that the two bolts you removed to remove the caliper are perfect fit of the threads in the rotor. But be sure and tighten them into the rotor threads at very close to the same rate.

Ok, but if you do that what do they bottom out against ? With the harmonic balancer all of the torque is being applied to the center hub and there's no way

you'll do any damage. Since the rotor can be put on any way onto the lugs how do you know what's behind the holes or are they just bottoming out on the wheel hub ? Maybe I'm just missing something simple...

Bob