Replacing Rear Taillight Bulbs

RX in NC

My wife just called to say that the "check taillights" indicator on her dashboard came on earlier this morning. She had a colleague check behind the vehicle and it appears that the drivers side taillight bulb behind the round red lens furthest to the left is burned out. I won't have an opportunity to check out the problem until late today when she gets home.

I did a search for this topic on the RX forum but it came back empty. However, I seem to remember from a couple of posts several months ago that the RX300 taillight assembly is accessed by opening the tailgate, popping off several round plastic screw covers, and removing the exposed screws or bolts (I assume they're either Phillips head or Hex head). The entire taillight assembly can then be removed and all of the interior bulbs can be accessed.

Can anyone who has previously replaced a bulb confirm that this is the correct (or incorrect) procedure? And if you happen to have this particular bulb number (all bulbs are shown in a chart in your owners manual), I would appreciate it so I can have the new bulb in hand before I pull the assembly this evening. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

My wife just called to say that the "check taillights" indicator on her dashboard came on earlier this morning.  She had a colleague check behind the vehicle and it appears that the drivers side taillight bulb behind the round red lens furthest to the left is burned out.  I won't have an opportunity to check out the problem until late today when she gets home.

I did a search for this topic on the RX forum but it came back empty.  However, I seem to remember from a couple of posts several months ago that the RX300 taillight assembly is accessed by opening the tailgate, popping off several round plastic screw covers, and removing the exposed screws or bolts (I assume they're either Phillips head or Hex head).  The entire taillight assembly can then be removed and all of the interior bulbs can be accessed.

Can anyone who has previously replaced a bulb confirm that this is the correct (or incorrect) procedure?  And if you happen to have this particular bulb number (all bulbs are shown in a chart in your owners manual), I would appreciate it so I can have the new bulb in hand before I pull the assembly this evening.  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

From my memory of changing a few of the tail light bulbs, you've got the procedure right. Easiest fix to do - don't even need to bend at the waist and you work in a carpeted area. I seem to remember the screw head was phillips once you pop off the plastic covers (with a thin blade). I don't have manual so can't give the bulb number - in the shop today getting struts fixed. I go by what the parts store says for bulbs. I seem to remember it wasn't long before the other side burned out so you might want to consider getting two while you're there.

Turned out to be a simple five-minute job. Open the tailgate, pop off the two round plastic caps with a miniature screwdriver or knife blade tip , remove the two Phillips screws that secure the taillight assembly to the body, remove the assembly, locate the bulb holders in the rear, and twist off the appropriate one to access the burned-out bulb. The four taillights (two on each side) all use the same bulb style - it's a 21/5 Type D 5-watt bulb that pushes (not screws) into place. A very easy task compared to attempting to access a burned-out headlight bulb.

• 6 months later...
Turned out to be a simple five-minute job.  Open the tailgate, pop off the two round plastic caps with a miniature screwdriver or knife blade tip , remove the two Phillips screws that secure the taillight assembly to the body, remove the assembly, locate the bulb holders in the rear, and twist off the appropriate one to access the burned-out bulb.  The four taillights (two on each side) all use the same bulb style  -  it's a 21/5 Type D 5-watt bulb that pushes (not screws) into place.  A very easy task compared to attempting to access a burned-out headlight bulb.

Has anyone had this problem. My tailights are out. The brakelight filament of the same bulb work. I changed the fuse and tried brand new bulbs but the tailights don't work. Is there some other relay other than the #43 fuse, or is something in the switch shorted out. i have a 2001 RX 300.

Thanks, Ed.

I've heard of dealers charging almost $100.00 to replace tail-light bulbs. [ 10-minute job ] When replacing either the two outer bulbs or the two bulbs in the rear hatch I change BOTH bulbs at the same time. Both bulbs together cost about $6.00-$8.00 at the auto parts store. To access the bulbs in the rear hatch just loosen up the bottom of the rear interior panel and they're within easy reach. It seems as though the Lexus dealers charge one hour's labor even if the job takes 5 minutes. Head-light bulbs are ALMOST as easy!