Door Speaker Blown

justin97

well my driver side front speaker is blown. is there any speaker to replace it. i dont want to upgrade it, i just want to restore it back to factory. i looked at it and the speaker itself seems to be a 6.5, but i couldnt get the door panel all the way off. couldnt get te door handle out and was afraid of breaking it. also the rear deck speaker is rattling a little too. it sounds as if may be next to go, is there a speaker = to factory to repalce it. i noticed it said pioneer on the bottom of it so is it factory? or did the previous owner replace it?

thanks for any help.

your whole sound system is from poineer. that is not replaced, it is what comes with factory. Your head unit, amp speakers... they are all pioneer designed.

as for replacing speakers, any speaker 5 1/4 actually should work. I doubt its ganna match factory sound becuase the system was fine tuned to work very well with each other. nonetheless, you shouldnt have a problem replacing them. the rear size is 6x9. trying to obtain a factory speaker, you can maybe try a junk yard or something. Its worthless to buy it from a dealer because they will just rip u off for that. aftermarket will be a better speaker anyways

-neil

aftermarket speakers will not be better they will be worse unless the amp and all the speakers are replaced together

a normal 4ohm pioneer speaker will sound like crap

it will have less output as it is not going to be as effiecent as the rest so you will hardly hear that corner

your whole sound system is from poineer.  that is not replaced, it is what comes with factory.  Your head unit, amp speakers... they are all pioneer designed. 

as for replacing speakers, any speaker 5 1/4 actually should work.  I doubt its ganna match factory sound becuase the system was fine tuned to work very well with each other.  nonetheless, you shouldnt have a problem replacing them.    the rear size is 6x9.  trying to obtain a factory speaker,  you can maybe try a junk yard or something.  Its worthless to buy it from a dealer because they will just rip u off for that.    aftermarket will be a better speaker anyways

-neil

r u sure my rear deck speaker is 6x9 cause it looks round. i thought i was a 8 and the front door speakers were 6.5? urgg...

stock pioneers but nothing to what is sold in a store compares

not bad or good just made to completly different specs

so where can i find some factory spec speakers? dealer item only?

It doesn't look like anyone has answered your question yet.

I would guess that this should be an easy item to find in a salvage yard. That's where I'd go.

Or, you could ask the dealer how much, but it's probably a high profit item and might be too much.

Buying a replacement speaker from a junk yard is an iffy thing, since a used speaker most likely has already been aged in all types of weather conditions. The speakers cone surround is the first part that starts to disintegrate, so it won't last as long as a new factory replacement. I have repaired many types of loudspeakers, so I speak from my experience.

You can send your existing speaker(s) to this company to have them repaired.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

They do excellent work, and I'm sure that'll be cheaper then buying a new speaker.

Buying a replacement speaker from a junk yard is an iffy thing, since a used speaker most likely has already been aged in all types of weather conditions. The speakers cone surround is the first part that starts to disintegrate, so it won't last as long as a new factory replacement. I have repaired many types of loudspeakers, so I speak from my experience.

You can send your existing speaker(s) to this company to have them repaired.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/

They do excellent work, and I'm sure that'll be cheaper then buying a new speaker.

thanks, i will try and check the dealer price next time i am over that way. if not i will get this cause it is not thr foam just came loose where the foam meets the cone.

I don't know guys... personally I think the stock Pioneer speakers are pretty weak/bad. I replaced all of mine with 5.25" 2 way Polk speakers (about $80) a pair and the stock system has never sounded better. They mounted right in w/o any problems. Just had to to splice and solder new connectors onto the old wire.

Bob

I don't know guys... personally I think the stock Pioneer speakers are pretty weak/bad. I replaced all of mine with 5.25" 2 way Polk speakers (about $80) a pair and the stock system has never sounded better. They mounted right in w/o any problems. Just had to to splice and solder new connectors onto the old wire.

Bob

The problem is the car's acoustics. If you take a pair of speakers that sound incredible in the show room and put them into a car, they can sound terrible. At the very least, if I were replacing speakers, I'd have them installed by a shop who could properly equalize them to make up for the acoustics.

Then, you have the matter of individual preferences. The Polk speakers might sound great to you, but to me they might be terrible. I can virtually guarantee that the speakers I'd prefer would be far to bright for your taste.

Lexus puts a lot of time into selecting speakers for their cars and then balancing the entire audio system. Making arbitrary changes is just as likely to make it worse as to make it better. Best to either do the entire system properly or stick with what Lexus provided.

IMHO.

Bob

The problem is the car's acoustics. If you take a pair of speakers that sound incredible in the show room and put them into a car, they can sound terrible. At the very least, if I were replacing speakers, I'd have them installed by a shop who could properly equalize them to make up for the acoustics.

Then, you have the matter of individual preferences. The Polk speakers might sound great to you, but to me they might be terrible. I can virtually guarantee that the speakers I'd prefer would be far to bright for your taste.

Lexus puts a lot of time into selecting speakers for their cars and then balancing the entire audio system. Making arbitrary changes is just as likely to make it worse as to make it better. Best to either do the entire system properly or stick with what Lexus provided.

IMHO.

I agree, 100%. :cheers:

I don't know... I feel like people have bought into the "premium" sound systems

on Lexus over the years (not talking about the new Mark Levinson) especially on the older cars. Those Pioneer spkrs are one way, paper cones with like 4 oz magnets. Now, I have the base model not the Nakamichi which are probably much better. I also feel like the head units are way underpowered so I direct connected and amp to the sub in the rear. The Polk speakers I put in are 100 times better if nothing else because they are two way and you actually get some high end. Not trying to be combative and I love my Lexus but I just feel like any replacement spkrs will be better than stock...

Bob

I don't know... I feel like people have bought into the "premium" sound systems

on Lexus over the years (not talking about the new Mark Levinson) especially on the older cars. Those Pioneer spkrs are one way, paper cones with like 4 oz magnets. Now, I have the base model not the Nakamichi which are probably much better. I also feel like the head units are way underpowered so I direct connected and amp to the sub in the rear. The Polk speakers I put in are 100 times better if nothing else because they are two way and you actually get some high end. Not trying to be combative and I love my Lexus but I just feel like any replacement spkrs will be better than stock...

Bob

I'm glad you like the sound of yours. Unfortunately, that's not going to be typical.

Let's say that the car has a dip in its acouistic curve at 10 kHz. Lexus buys a speaker which is slightly elevated at 10 kHz. Then, they play with the location. An inch further forward or further backward and the dip could be worsened rather than made better.

Repeat that process at a wide range of frequencies.

Now, unless your speaker has exactly the same frequency response curve as the stock speakers, it's going to mis-match the interior acoustics. That is, instead of having higher response at 10 kHz, it would have flat or lower response. That would make the overall sound less flat.

My experience is that most people who like the sound of a given speaker like if for precisely that reason - it sounds louder in a frequency range that is important to them. That's why you have so many people who go around bragging about their speaker with buckets of bass response, but which otherwise sound like crap. You just can't expect a set of speakers to improve on the OVERALL balance of OEM speakers unless you put a lot of work into balancing the system.

BTW, here's an example I presented earlier. Go to your favorite mid- to high-end audio store. Listen to the Klipsch or other speakers in the $500 / pr range. You're probably going to love the sound of these speakers. If you read the reviews, you'll get rave reviews about the great sound. NOW, listen to the Infinity 360 speakers. Pay particular attention to the clarity and detail. Basically, the other brands sound like you're hearing the speakers. The Infinity sounds like you're hearing the music. (When you're done, tell the salesman he has to send me half his Infinity commission check)

The same is true of car speakers. The only way to turn off your perceptions is to either listen to the speakers IN THE CAR before buying or buy good speakers and then have them acoustically balanced (which is something that won't be cheap and requires a good quality shop).