Glass Replacement In Side View Mirror?

CUMan

I am wondering if anyone has replaced the glass in the side view mirrors in an early LS.

Last week my 93 LS 400 developed a vertical crack in the passenger side mirror.

Can the glass be replaced without replacing the entire assembly?

Newlexusparts.com shows replacement glass for ES mirrors but nothing for the LS. The entire side view assembly is almost $300, as I remember.

Using Google, I found a site that sells the mirror glass for a 93 LS for about $40.00. The question is, how difficult is it to get the old glass off and the new glass on. Is it held on with clips or glue?

Anyone?

I had mine replaced last week I brought the glass from Lexus as the non oem did not have the heater element.It is held in by plastic clips you will see when you purchase new glass.One tip I can offer is to place the glass in warm/hot water to make the clips more supple prior to fitting.

I am wondering if anyone has replaced the glass in the side view mirrors in an early LS.

Last week my 93 LS 400 developed a vertical crack in the passenger side mirror.

Can the glass be replaced without replacing the entire assembly?

Newlexusparts.com shows replacement glass for ES mirrors but nothing for the LS.  The entire side view assembly is almost $300, as I remember.

Using Google, I found a site that sells the mirror glass for a 93 LS for about $40.00.  The question is, how difficult is it to get the old glass off and the new glass on.  Is it held on with clips or glue?

Anyone?

Not sure if you've completed this task, but I too, sometime ago, had to replace the mirror within the driver side door. Believe it or not, it simply clips on. there's 2 on top of the mirror and 2 on the bottom (on the back side). You firmly hold the mirror then pry forward, either top first or bottom first but not both at the same time. Obviously afterwards, you'll need to disconnect the wiring harness.

Armed with the information I got from folks on the forum, I went shopping for the replacement glass for my broken passenger side mirror.

Lexus does sell the replacement glass. I was quoted $33.01 from Irontoad and $35.11 from Newlexusparts.

The part number for the 93 LS is 87931-33010. Newlexusparts lists this as the correct part for the 92-96 LS models. The part number which Lexls listed (87931-50011) shows up on the Newlexusparts webside as the proper replacement glass for the 90-92 LS models. It looks like there's an overlap involving the 92 models.

Man, I wish they didn't change the part numbers! The part number I listed came straight from my parts catalog....its an older printing though. It's annoying that they change them. Anyway, good to hear you've found a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got my replacement right sideview mirror installed today.

The part number given by Lexls (87931-50011) was the correct replacement part for my 1993 LS 400. The part number that Park Place Lexus told me was the correct part (87931-33010) would not fit. The mirrors are almost the same but the plastic pieces that hold the mirror in place are slightly different.

According to Park Place, my car required the 50011 mirror because my car has the memory system. I thought all 93 LS models had this feature.

The cost was around $70.00.