Gs 400 Annoying Rattle

My 2000 GS 400 has been super-reliable in most respects. Almost since birth, however, there has been an intermittent rattle that seems to come from under the passenger side of the car. "Sounds like" a wire coat hanger or small branch hitting the underside of the car. Lately the sound has become almost constant.

Dealers have been unable to locate, I have looked several times but can find nothing loose under the car.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Bonkers

Could be loose exhaust shield or something simillar. Do a search as this has been covered alot. B)

I did a search.. Couldn't find much, but I have a similar problem. Rattle up front on the passenger side. Even over the slightest bump/crack in the road. Dealer can't find but think it might be the ball joints, since there's some play there.

We'll see.. I'm looking to get those replaced..

Any hookups for deals on Upper Ball joints would be greatly appreciated in the next few days. Otherwise, my guy said he would get some with a dealer discount. I'll post my findings if this fixes the problem.

Ditto on the search under GS, however a search across all Lexus

models did reiterate exhaust shields a few times... don't think my rattle could be suspension as it's not a "heavy" enough sound for that.

Thanks!

Bonkers

Could be loose exhaust shield or something simillar. Do a search as this has been covered alot. B)

I did a search.. Couldn't find much, but I have a similar problem. Rattle up front on the passenger side. Even over the slightest bump/crack in the road. Dealer can't find but think it might be the ball joints, since there's some play there.

We'll see.. I'm looking to get those replaced..

Any hookups for deals on Upper Ball joints would be greatly appreciated in the next few days. Otherwise, my guy said he would get some with a dealer discount. I'll post my findings if this fixes the problem.

i have a similiar problem.. I am now noticing noise under the passenger side of the car near the engine or tire. I sounds like a clumping noise most when i turn or brake...but everytime I take it in to the shop, it does not make any noise. strange...

The best price i've found on any Lexus parts has been from  B)

hoy fox

• 5 months later...
Rattle up front on the passenger side.  Even over the slightest bump/crack in the road.  Dealer can't find but think it might be the ball joints, since there's some play there.

I am having the exact same issue. I work at a dealership and no one can seem to find prob. Please advise if you have found out any additional information.

TIA

I found the culprint, sort of. When I removed my slick 18-inch wheel set and went back to the mushy-soft original 16-in set, the noise vanished. Poof. So much for looking kewl.

The fact that softer tires have an effect on the rattle might be helpful to someone...?

Bonkers

:blink:

Rattle up front on the passenger side.  Even over the slightest bump/crack in the road.  Dealer can't find but think it might be the ball joints, since there's some play there.

I am having the exact same issue. I work at a dealership and no one can seem to find prob. Please advise if you have found out any additional information.

TIA

TIA

Nothin' Yet.. over the winter I haven't driven at all.. but it's still a problem I'll be lookin' into this summer..

The dealer is almost 100% that it is related to the Ball Joints, but I don't have the money right away.. I better get it though.. that's nothin' to be played with..

have the folks at the dealership you work for check them out..

Oneluv,

TEK

Hey,

I've had the same problem before; however, my rattle was more significant when I first started the car. I would also hear the same rattle when I would accelerate fast.

It turned out that the heat shield on my exhaust was starting to rust off and became notably loose. All you have to do is get underneath the car and cut it off after you locate the loose one. The heat shield is just a covering for the exhaust pipe. It comes in two piecies that are held together by bolts. Mine rusted so badly that I had to cut the bolts to remove the cover.

Let me know what happens with yours. It sounds like you are having the same problem as I did. I hope it's an easy fix.

My 2000 GS 400 has been super-reliable in most respects. Almost since birth, however, there has been an intermittent rattle that seems to come from under the passenger side of the car. "Sounds like" a wire coat hanger or small branch hitting the underside of the car. Lately the sound has become almost constant.

Dealers have been unable to locate, I have looked several times but can find nothing loose under the car.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Bonkers

• 5 years later...