Belt Noise on Initial Startup

ImranS

hey

when i turn the wheel slightly to the left or right when the car is first started it make like a belt squeal type sound. THis only hapepens in the cold. I would like to take it back to get it looked at but my dealership is 40 km away and the car will be warm by then :wacko:

Do you know if this sound is normal? Does it happen because there may be ice or snow on some belt?

It probably is caused by incorrect belt tension. This can be corrected very easily by most auto repair facilities, so it shouldn't be neccessary to bring it back to a Lexus dealer.

welcome to my world.

It is the power steering belt and it needs to have the tension tightened as Alan said.

My 2002 ES does this. Common noise, goes away in a few minutes after the car warms up. Same here, only in the cold (less than 30°). My dealer replaced both belts at 30,000 miles because of it. It came right back when it got cold.

It doesn't do it anymore since I had them correct the tension. Only when the car is standing still and the wheel is turned can a get a hint of the sound.

steviej

welcome to my world.

It is the power steering belt and it needs to have the tension tightened as Alan said.

My 2002 ES does this.  Common noise, goes away in a few minutes after the car warms up.  Same here, only in the cold (less than 30°).  My dealer replaced both belts at 30,000 miles because of it.  It came right back when it got cold.

It doesn't do it anymore since I had them correct the tension.  Only when the car is standing still and the wheel is turned can a get a hint of the sound.

steviej

Is that noise harmful to any components in the engine, or is it just an annoyance? Mine only does it sometimes when it's really cold, and it only lasts for a couple of minutes, if that.

The only thing that will be harmed is the belt itself, due to the slipping on the pulley. This usually happens when the belt becomes slightly glazed. If the belt tension is in spec, then a new belt should be installed. Excessive tension will put too much of a load on the components bearings. Also, one of the components that the belt drives can be binding slightly when cold.

the intial belt squeel is caused by a high amount of tension from the same serpentine belt adding load then the power steering pump adding to the load causing it to slip on the crack pulley,shoul be adjustable on the alternator bracket but it isn;t a real tension issue but one of too much load too early as the alternator is trying to charge back the battery at the same timecausing problems

atleast that is my take on things

I appreciate the replies.....

Now, it seems as if its a common type problem.  Is it normal, is it dangerous to any of the components?

If you read my above post, I think I gave some good reasons why that happens.

NO, it's not a normal condition in my estimation, but I don't think it will hurt your car appreciably. Why don't you have the belt tension checked and see if that corrects the problem?

If you read my above post, I think I gave some good reasons why that happens.

NO, it's not a normal condition in my estimation, but I don't think it will hurt your car appreciably. Why don't you have the belt tension checked and see if that corrects the problem?

exactly! The car is under warranty so it won't cost you a thing.

You may want to leave the car overnight (hopefully a very cold night) so that they start it cold.

If you drive to the dealership and have them look at it warm, it may not make the sound you hear initially.

steviej

PS. I changed the title of this thread to better represent the content.