97 Es300 Cel And Trac Off Lights On

2bhumbl

Happy Holidays Everyone,

I did a search on this topic but I need verification.

During the recent rain/ice/snow here in Ohio I was trying to get up our driveway (slight incline) and just had to leave the car outside on the drive overnight because I couldn't get all the way to the top to the garage.

The next morning, got the drive plowed and the street was cleaned so I could get out. After about 10 minutes of driving, the CEL began to flash and then stayed on and then the TRAC OFF light flashed and stayed on.

Took the car to Autozone for code readings and I had 3 codes in this order:

P0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire)

P0300 (Random Misfire detected)

Both CEL and TRAC OFF are still ON. I did a search in the forum and found similar cases. What I found though, were problems with the Charcoal Canister that people had. I don't see any codes for the Charcoal Canister in the Trouble Codes listing.

Could my problem be from the Charcoal Canister eventhough I get P0300 and P0302 codes? Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Barry

Start with the codes the car is giving you.

I would first check the condition of the spark plug in Cylinder #2.

The CEL and TRAC light on together indicate the car is in "safety mode". Over a hundred combinations of codes can trigger this. I do not think it is related to the charcoal canister.

steviej

Swap the #2 and # 4 colis and see if the misfire moves to #4. I have seen some coils fail on these cars.

excellent smithers........another awesome idea.

just remember when you do this you are swapping the coils only. Keep the proper coil/cylinder synchrony the same, meaning don't change the wiring.

steviej

Is there a way I can get out of this "Safety Mode"? Good ideas you gave me. The car was sitting out in the damp weather overnight when in the driveway. I felt the misfire when it happened but has since smoothed out with no misfires I can feel. Car has been running fine but the lights are still on.

many people "try" to reset the codes by either disconnecting the negative cable to the battery for 30 minutes and then reconnecting. This will also remove all presets in your radio and memory seat settings (if equipped).

another way is to remove the ECU fuse for a few minutes. This will supposedly reset the ECU and the codes should be gone.

Now, this is treating the symptom(s) and not the cause(s).

If the perpetrating event or problem is still present the codes will only come back.

Interesting you say this happened in damp weather. One way mechanics find bad spark plug wires and coils is to spray with a fine mist of water while the engine is running and see if there is any malfunction or misfire.

This may be what you have on cylinder #2.

I would not be suprised if you are successful in removing the codes, it will only be temporary until the next damp spell.

steviej

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having exzactly the same problems with my 97, I live in Vancouver Canada and as soon as fall and winter came the lights started to come on. Thanks for the tips.

Happy Holidays Everyone,

I did a search on this topic but I need verification.

During the recent rain/ice/snow here in Ohio I was trying to get up our driveway (slight incline) and just had to leave the car outside on the drive overnight because I couldn't get all the way to the top to the garage.

The next morning, got the drive plowed and the street was cleaned so I could get out.  After about 10 minutes of driving, the CEL began to flash and then stayed on and then the TRAC OFF light flashed and stayed on.

Took the car to Autozone for code readings and I had 3 codes in this order:

P0300 (Random Misfire detected)

Both CEL and TRAC OFF are still ON.  I did a search in the forum and found similar cases.  What I found though, were problems with the Charcoal Canister that people had.  I don't see any codes for the Charcoal Canister in the Trouble Codes listing.

Could my problem be from the Charcoal Canister eventhough I get P0300 and P0302 codes?  Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Barry