Lx450 And Cell Phone

R1MAN

I haven't heard of anyone using the on-board cell phone. Most times people ask how to remove it.

As for the phone itself, I think it's analog -- wouldn't you need to find a service provider with analog phone service? Remeber, the phones were installed in 1996-97. Cell technology has come a long way since then -- you might be better off with a newer phone.

I haven't heard of anyone using the on-board cell phone.  Most times people ask how to remove it.

As for the phone itself, I think it's analog -- wouldn't you need to find a service provider with analog phone service?  Remeber, the phones were installed in 1996-97.  Cell technology has come a long way since then -- you might be better off with a newer phone.

I understand your point, and I think I should have explained myself a little bit better, what I'm looking for to do is, has any body find a way to use your own phone instead of Lexus phone? I don't want to remove the whole kit, just the Lexus hand set.

and using the handset free system, with my cellphone.

I know for sure that its possible, but I thought I could use some other people experience, not to mess with it. I just have to find the right diagram for it, I used to be a phone tech, so I'm kind of familiar with whole concept, I know the wires go to the car's computer, but that can not prevent you of using your own phone, as I said before it is quite possible.

Well I guess I have to take my old phone's tools out once more to figure it out.

http://techinfo.lexus.com/ may have the wiring diagrams you are looking for - I don't know how much detail they have on the older phone systems. A friendly Lexus dealer employee printed enough of the audio system wiring diagram from techinfo for my LS to enable me to hook up a Nokia kit to my car's OEM phone wiring to automatically mute the audio system when a call is made or received.

I tend to doubt that your old Lexus phone is linked to the car's computer. On my 00 LS, the OEM phone system wiring appears to be fairly low tech.

A former participant in this forum (username "Dogboy") had some success in interfacing modern handheld cell phones into the Lexus OEM phone wiring. I suspect he gave up marketing them for the reason that he could not make enough money selling them.

I had hoped to get the steering wheel phone control to work with our old (but really nice) Nokia CARK-91H car kits and obtained information on the voltages used to control phone functions via the pins in the Nokia cradle. But I do not have the skills or time to build an electronic interface to generate the micro-voltages necessary to control a handful of phone functions from the steering wheel control. With only three buttons and the lever switch on the OEM steering wheel phone control, I would have had, at most, three speed dials and an answer/hangup function. Our Nokia phones already automatically answer and hangup (when in the car kit), and have 10 speed and 10 voice dials so I wouldn't be gaining much.

The CARK-91H kit, probably the most popular car kit ever made, has been discontinued by Nokia and Cingular just dropped the last phone that fits into it. I am, however, happy to see that http://www.dashmount.co.uk/ is selling a plug and play "Nokia CARK 91 Converter Cradle" which allows the current Nokia "Pop Port" compatible phones sold by Cingular to be used in with the CARK-91H kit.

http://www.connects2.com/ sells interface kits that integrate two Nokia and one Sony-Ericsson kits into the audio/OEM phone controls of BMW, Landrover, Opel and Renault but they have nothing for Japanese cars.

It looks like we eventually may be have to go with aftermarket Bluetooth car kits if we want hands free in our older cars without having to use an headset. My bet is that the market for Bluetooth car kits will dry up within a few years - even inexpensive cars are starting to come with Bluetooth built in or as an inexpensive option.

As for me, I'm going to try to make our current Nokia kits last as long as possible and have gone so far as to purchase "backup" Nokia 6340i GSM/TDMA/AMPS handsets to make this happen.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure it is possible with enough time, knowledge and effort.